Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spangle is not doing well.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Spangle, hope she will be feeling better soon.
    I think when our dogs have SM, we are inclined to blame every ailment on SM and sometimes thats not the case at all as you have found out. If only our dogs could talk it would make ours and theirs so much easier
    Last edited by Charlifarley; 11th November 2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Thank you everyone for your kindness.
    Spangle has just slept most of the day, I took her for a short 5 minute walk to see if that would give her something different to think about but she wouldn`t walk far and wouldn`t go to the toilet. Mind you she has so little inside her now. No food since Tuesday morning. She continues to refuse both food and more worryingly water. I have had her licking the chicken liver flavoured rehydration fluid off my finger but she won`t drink it from a bowl. I`m waiting for my husband to get home and then I`ll have to syringe some into her. I`m dreading it! I haven`t done it before. She hasn`t had her medication since last night either but the vet said not to worry too much!!!!!! I feel sick with worry because she looks so poorly and she is food mad usually. I`m going to phone the vet tomorrow if she is no different in the morning. I`m so sorry to go on again. Christine
    Christine
    Spangle born 24/11/07 (Blen)
    Poppy (Blen)who went to Rainbow Bridge aged 13 and a half.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

No need to apologize Christine, we are all here for you. I can appreciate how worried you are, I hope she gets better by the morning. Just let her sleep an forgets walks for now, she needs her energy to get better.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pauline, I will go back to her now and give her another cuddle (she`s on the sofa) and keep my fingers crossed. Christine
    Christine

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Christine,
    It is important not to let her dehydrate - that will make her feel worse - use a syringe, and, even if you only get 1ml into her, say, every 10 mins, that is a start.
    1ml is a very small amount so won't make her retch or choke.
    It is quite important and she will feel the better for it.
    Elspeth

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Spangle is feeling a little better today.

Poor baby, it's so hard to watch our sweeties go through a tough time.

~Dawn

Post Thanks / Like

Using a small sponge/flannel cotton wool and just squeeze gently some fluid around and in the mouth might be a more gentle option and help to freshen the mouth. Sometimes the smell of cooking fish like haddock can stimulate the appetite too. Poor little Spangle I am so sorry.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Last night we managed to get Spangle to take the rehydration drink with a syringe, in fact she seemed to quite like it. Then at 10.30 pm she took a gabapentin capsule wrapped in ham! After quite a good night she had some more fluid about another 20 ml and then even took the syringe of antibiotic fairly well. I was so pleased with her! Then she had both a gabapentin and her 2 codeine tabs as normal.
    She hasn`t wanted anything else until we had a visitor (my sister, who she loves!!), when we had a coffee Spangle wanted a biscuit!
    Mind you she won`t have anything else. So she has had a lot more sleep and I`m now slowly cooking some chicken in the oven, for her to try later. So, I`m just going slowly with her, letting her take any of her sm meds whenever she will but not pushing her.
    Thank you again to everyone who has offered me advice and thoughts. You all really do help!
    Christine
    Christine

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I am glad she is eating a little bit. You're doing a good job.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We are all rooting for Spangle.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi