• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Finding lumps/bumps

katc10

Lately I have noticed a few little lumps on Charlie. They are hard and small (about 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser), but not discolored at all. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with anything similar and might have any suggestions what it might be? Thanks for your input in advance.

Both of my cavaliers have had lumps on their backs about the size of a pea. The vet said they were cysts and quite harmless and did not require treatment unless they started bothering them. They eventually disappeared apart from one which Dylan still has. Harvey had one come up again recently which burst and he had to have a course of antibiotics.

I would get it checked with your vet however just to make sure.

As noted, probably nothing to worry about :). I'd ask your vet to have a look the next visit in. While they are almost always harmless cysts and fatty lumps (mine have a few of these), my vets say they need to be watched for any changes and so it is a good idea to have a vet examine them. I wouldn't consider it urgent unless they are growing and changing in shape; just fag it on your next visit.

Maybe just to ease your worries a bit, I'll share with you what happened when we found a couple hard, colorless pea-sized lumps on our Cocker several years ago.

I had myself all worked up over it. Took her into the vet, was prepared for the terrible news, and when the vet started poking around he said "cyst." Well, I started crying, thinking malignancy, horrible thoughts, etc.

He squeezed. (sorry if this is too visual). It popped right out. It was nothing at all! He smiled at me, "Basically like a human's zit." Ewwwwww! But, it was really nothing to worry about.

He told me that if it feels "attached" on the underside when you wiggle it, then it is of more concern typically.

Hope your sweetie is OK and all turns out fine.

~Dawn

Madison has had several of these harmless cysts. One of them she had removed when she was having her teeth cleaned, the others the vet "squeezed" just like Dawn talked about. Oliver has one oddly enough right above his back knee. The vet said she's probably take it off next time he has his teeth cleaned, but to just watch it for now. It hasn't changed in 4 months.

Thank you all for your replies! I had assumed they were nothing to worry about but I just wanted to ask on here to reassure myself. I will have them checked out to be safe next time he's into the vet's office. :)

Back