Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Chappie food

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dry Chappie food

Hi,

Since Leo's ongoing problems with his anal glands I took advice from this forum and changed his diet to Chappie...since then he's been ok

Trouble is the tinned food is making his breath bad despite teeth cleaning. Especially as he has a bad habit of burping in my face

Anyway I have discovered that Chappie also comes as a dry kibble, so my question is will it still give the same benefits that the tinned stuff does regarding his anal glands?

Thanks Mel

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Mel, I feed Chappie tinned food but I'm told Chappie dry, in contrast, is total rubbish. Dylan doesn't have bad breath at all. Maybe you could get Leo's teeth checked.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use Chappie dry and find it excellent. Sorry Pauline, JMO.
    Elspeth

Post Thanks / Like

The ingredients on both packs are the same so i cant see there is too much difference.

It isnt that Leo's breath is bad it's just when he burps

Thanks anyway I'll try it and see for myself.......but it's nice to have opinions,

Thanks again

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meljoy View Post
    The ingredients on both packs are the same so i cant see there is too much difference.

Thanks anyway I'll try it and see for myself.......but it's nice to have opinions,

Thanks again

Mel
    Usually dogs that burp a lot have eaten (and some don't chew) so fast that swallow air. I have found that feeding twice a day decreases the air swallowed, keeps some food in their systems (eases digestion). You could try probiotics or some real yogurt and see if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meljoy View Post

Thanks again

Mel
    Hi Mel, checked the nutritional analysis, from what I can find online, they are quite different.

Dry Analysis
    Protein 20.0, 0il 7.0, Ash 6.5, Fibre 4.0. Vitamins A, D, E. Copper 10 mg/kg.

Tinned Analysis
    Protein 6, Oil 3, Ash 1.5, Fibre 0.45 Vitamins A, D, E. Copper 2 mg/kg.

So maybe the dry is better if Leo needs fibre.

Mel, please would you mind checking your pack to see if I got the analysis correct, I found it online. And please would you post the ingredients of the dry for me? Thanks. I would be happier with Dylan on dry food and would consider a change or mixing his food if they are the same.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry folks but Chappie, dry or wet, is a *really* mediocre-quality ingredient supermarket brand food at the bottom end of the market (that is why it is also so cheap!). Very little meat and primarily 'derivatives', the junk of the meat world made from what is unsuitable for human consumption and illegal to actually list as 'meat'. Lots of filler too. I'd agree with this:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/pets-accesso...-food/1096059/

Some like the wet food for sensitive tummies but there are far better low fat/high fibre foods out there. Personally wouldn't go near this (a nd I am also not a believer in expensive 'premium' foods with trendy ingredients!) -- but to each his/her own!

I'd never only feed a tinned food -- terrible for gums and dental health. At least half the daily meal should be a dry food IMHO but ask a vet.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's not my first choice but it's the only thing that doesn't set his tummy off. The RVC recommends it as does my vet and my old vet compared the nutritional analysis with the intestinal diet by RC and said it's not as bad as she thought.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chappie is actually 'select protein' and, as such, is a first response food for dogs with a delicate stomach.
    Works a treat on any pancreatic/ tummy disorder.

If you bred wholecolours, Karlin, you would better appreciate its uses.
    Pauline you had good advice from the RVC.
    Elspeth

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone.
    Ive started another thread asking for food advice,

Mel