• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry Chappie food

meljoy

Hi,

Since Leo's ongoing problems with his anal glands I took advice from this forum and changed his diet to Chappie...since then he's been ok:wggle:

Trouble is the tinned food is making his breath bad despite teeth cleaning. Especially as he has a bad habit of burping in my face:eek::yuk:

Anyway I have discovered that Chappie also comes as a dry kibble, so my question is will it still give the same benefits that the tinned stuff does regarding his anal glands?

Thanks Mel

Sorry Mel, I feed Chappie tinned food but I'm told Chappie dry, in contrast, is total rubbish. Dylan doesn't have bad breath at all. Maybe you could get Leo's teeth checked.

The ingredients on both packs are the same so i cant see there is too much difference.

It isnt that Leo's breath is bad it's just when he burps:rolleyes:

Thanks anyway I'll try it and see for myself.......but it's nice to have opinions,

Thanks again

Mel

The ingredients on both packs are the same so i cant see there is too much difference.

Thanks anyway I'll try it and see for myself.......but it's nice to have opinions,

Thanks again

Mel

Usually dogs that burp a lot have eaten (and some don't chew) so fast that swallow air. I have found that feeding twice a day decreases the air swallowed, keeps some food in their systems (eases digestion). You could try probiotics or some real yogurt and see if that helps.

Thanks again

Mel

Hi Mel, checked the nutritional analysis, from what I can find online, they are quite different.

Dry Analysis
Protein 20.0, 0il 7.0, Ash 6.5, Fibre 4.0. Vitamins A, D, E. Copper 10 mg/kg.

Tinned Analysis
Protein 6, Oil 3, Ash 1.5, Fibre 0.45 Vitamins A, D, E. Copper 2 mg/kg.

So maybe the dry is better if Leo needs fibre.

Mel, please would you mind checking your pack to see if I got the analysis correct, I found it online. And please would you post the ingredients of the dry for me? Thanks. I would be happier with Dylan on dry food and would consider a change or mixing his food if they are the same.

Sorry folks but Chappie, dry or wet, is a *really* mediocre-quality ingredient supermarket brand food at the bottom end of the market (that is why it is also so cheap!). Very little meat and primarily 'derivatives', the junk of the meat world made from what is unsuitable for human consumption and illegal to actually list as 'meat'. Lots of filler too. I'd agree with this:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/pets-accessories/chappie-dry-dog-food/1096059/

Some like the wet food for sensitive tummies but there are far better low fat/high fibre foods out there. Personally wouldn't go near this (a nd I am also not a believer in expensive 'premium' foods with trendy ingredients!) -- but to each his/her own!

I'd never only feed a tinned food -- terrible for gums and dental health. At least half the daily meal should be a dry food IMHO but ask a vet.

Yes, it's not my first choice but it's the only thing that doesn't set his tummy off. The RVC recommends it as does my vet and my old vet compared the nutritional analysis with the intestinal diet by RC and said it's not as bad as she thought.

Chappie is actually 'select protein' and, as such, is a first response food for dogs with a delicate stomach.
Works a treat on any pancreatic/ tummy disorder.

If you bred wholecolours, Karlin, you would better appreciate its uses.
Pauline you had good advice from the RVC.
Elspeth

Mel which food did you try before Chappie? I'm just wondering which food gave problems with the anal glands? My vet recommended a high quality dry food to keep anal gland problems away. I use Burns dry at the moment and have had no problems. James Wellbeloved is also an excellent food and they both also do wet food to mix in.

Hi Shippers,

Leo was on Neutro before. It was great for his coat but he has had surgery twice for anal gland impactment and an abcess:(

Do you mix dry and wet or jusr dry. I dont like feeding him just wet because of all the reasons Karlin mentioned.

Mel

Poor Leo having to go through all this with his anal glands. Hope you manage to sort it soon which ever food you choose. We feed dry Burns the majority of the time. Occasionally we will mix a pouch of James Wellbeloved wet food in with the dry but not very often. We give small pieces of carrots, brocoli or celery which they love too. Their poops seem hard so I think it helps express the anal glands.

Back