Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Degenerative Disc Disease

Post Thanks / Like

Hope all goes well on friday. Will be thinking of you and Bailey
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Trudy, will be thinking of you and Bailey on Friday - we hope the surgery goes well and he makes a good recovery.

Pat, we all appreciate your posts, we learn so much from them

Just want to add my voice to this too, as I also have an elderly Cav with this problem. So far we have managed it with medication, exercise restriction etc only, but I was particularly interested to read Pat's advice about acupuncture. My own vet has just started to offer this, so I think I'll go and talk to him about it now.

Do keep your MOST helpful posts coming, Pat, and, Trudy, we'll all be thinking about you and Bailey on Friday. Do let us know how you get on.

Every good wish, Marie-Anne
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

We met with the surgeon today. Bailey is staying overnight and will have an MRI of his neck and back in the morning. The surgeon was not impressed with the quality of the xrays and ordered an MRI so that he can see exactly what is going on. I have to go back tomorrow afternoon to review the MRI images with him and discuss the next step. Bailey will be coming home for the weekend and if surgery is needed it will be scheduled for the upcoming week or week after. The surgeon and i are on the same page and if surgery can be avoided it will be.

Pat, i appreciate your post and the links. Any information i can get about this condition helps me to better understand what is going on and what his needs are.

My house is empty without him. Anyone have a dog i can borrow?

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel with an empty house. I think that's why I have so many! The chances of them all being gone at the same time are really slim. Good luck tomorrow. My Oliver (8 and a half years old) also has degenerative disc disease. So far we've been able to manage it with meds and limited activity, but I know the day will come when...

When Oliver is hurting, he goes into the crate (I keep one around and open all the time) and won't come out. I have to carry him out for pottying. Prednisone usually works - at least so far. So there are a lot of us on this forum that are reading your posts with an eye on our own dogs futures. Let us know how the MRI and vet visit goes.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

We are finally back home. The MRI cofirmed a chronic disc herniation between T12 and T13 that requires decompression surgery. He has others that have "slight bulging" but the vet thinks these are inflamed due to this one area between 12 and 13. The MRI was able to show the herniation pushing on his little spinal cord

I picked him up today and he will be at home for the weekend. I will drop him off on Sunday evening, he will have surgery (hemilaminectomy) on Monday and will be discharged on Wednesday or Thursday (depending on his progress). He will be on bed rest for 2 weeks and then should be back to his normal self. The surgeon does not forsee any problems for him as he is only having one area operated on which will mean less down time and a more speedy recovery (versus needing decompression on several areas).

Please say a little prayer for my little boy.

Trudy

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to little Bailey. May he be strong in spirit and body. Monday will be a hard day for you until you get the phone call after surgery. When Riley had SM surgery, I spent the time waiting for the surgeon's call on CavalierTalk. I got inspiration and hope from everyone on here. We all wish the best for Bailey. Have a snuggly weekend.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Default update 11/17/09

Bailey had surgery yesterday and the surgeon says that he was able to tell that his disc has been this way for a long time. The disc was not only pushing on his spinal cord but also on the spinal nerve. The surgery went very well and they were expecting him to be able to move around a little today. Today when the surgeon called me he was esctatic. He said that when he went into check on Bailey that he was already moving around on his own and was acting as though he hadnt even had surgery. He said the incision looks great and that Bailey can come home tomorrow. He is expected to be back to his old self (well, better than his old self) in about 2 weeks!!

Thank you for all of your prayers for him. I cannot wait to see my boy running and playing again and free from pain.
    Trudy

Post Thanks / Like

thats great news trudy harray for bailey and for his surgeon !
    proud owner of my handsome little ruby ckcs cooper and mr binks the cat

Post Thanks / Like

Now you can sleep well tonight! Great news.
    Bev

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Trudy....that is great news!! I'm so glad the surgery was such a success. Bailey must be feeling so much better now!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah