• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chewing Feet

Brian M

Hi

I have asked this question in the past ,my little Rosie is a heavy coated ruby girl of 2 she is healthy in all respects has no allergies or fleas that I know of has just had her glands emptied but in the morning when they all race up the stairs (apart from Lily who is now camped out in her own crate in our bedroom ) and jump on the bed at 5.30 and all have a general stretch and scratch Rosie then starts chewing her feet .This is quite an energetic chew and ends up with her feet soaking wet but I do try and stop her by diverting her attention someplace else.
Why does she do it and is harmful in anyway.:confused:

My reply wont be much help but I thought excessive licking and chewing feet was a sympton of sm!

hi brian, my reply wont be too enlightning either. cooper likes at his feet and nips at his feet often, he certainly has no flea's, ticks, irritated skin or dirty feet but he does it none the less. he also scratches his ears neck and shoulders alot, scoots his bum and the odd time sees things that are not there. he is also a very happy dog full of life and play all the time eats and drinks well. i too took him to the vet 3 times now (he too had his glands emptied) in a few weeks as i worry about everything that he does due to the amount of possible conditions in the breed, besides making a pest of myself at the clinic she always tells me not to worry that puppies scratching and nibbling is normal and to just relax, her take on possible sm was that he is very young and she has rarely ever diagnosed a dog with it, and scooting can become habit in some pups. you maby nearer to a more professional establishment who is more farmiliar with the conditions in the breed to ask advice for your own piece of mind (y)

Hi Brian

My reply may not be too helpful either, but chewing feet is a sign of allergies. I know you mention that she has no allergies but it might be worth investigating in case she has developed any.

"frantic leg- and feet-nibbling is a classic sign of an allergic reaction."
"Why does my dog...?" by John Fisher.

Hope this helps :)

My reply wont be much help but I thought excessive licking and chewing feet was a sympton of sm!

The problem is, of course, that many things could be symptoms of SM, but then again may just be ordinary dog behaviour.
Symptoms vary depending on the location and severity of the syrinx ( pocket of fluid ) within the spinal cord.

Scratching, scooting, licking, and nibbling can all be symptoms of SM, it is more common in cavaliers than most vets have realised and I'm sorry to say I know of quite a few puppies that have been diagnosed with it.

It is always possible for a pet person worried by the odd little bit of 'quirky' behaviour to join in with one of Mark Marshall's low cost scanning day, but this would not really be a diagnostic test, it would only tell you whether your cavalier had a syrinx in the neck area, which is where they usually show up first.
There would be no consultation or treatment advice if your dog did have SM, but for some people it may put their mind at rest.

If you are seeing a lot of quirky behaviour, then you need a consultation with a neurologist and a full diagnostic scan. That is expensive, which is why all pet owners should insure their cavaliers.

Of course sometimes feet nibbling and licking can be due to something like rabbit mite ( some dogs can be much more affected than others in the household ) and scooting can be a slightly sore and itchy backside. Smearing a little vaseline ( my cure all remedy ) on the anus for a few days will help.

Is it her feet in general, or her nails specifically? The reason I ask is that both of my dogs chew their nails, not a lot, but about twice a week or so. I have asked my vet about it and he laughed and basically told me to be happy because they're taking care of part of their grooming themselves, thus saving me from having to clip their nails. I guess it's a hygiene thing. But, if she's chewing her feet, in general, then I'm sorry, my answer is probably not much help at all. Maybe it's a habit that's developed and she's soothing herself with it. ??

~Dawn

Brian, If it's an allergy, you will tend to see pink skin---usually between their toes, inside the ears, or on the belly area. The skin should be creamy colored, not pink. If she does this after coming in from her first morning piddle, I would guess perhaps the grass is bothering her.

Brian, If it's an allergy, you will tend to see pink skin---usually between their toes, inside the ears, or on the belly area. The skin should be creamy colored, not pink. If she does this after coming in from her first morning piddle, I would guess perhaps the grass is bothering her.

If you have pink hair on the feet, that could be mites ( you can get this pink discolouration on the head & muzzle as well )

It may be worth putting a little dusting of Thornit and see whether that clears up the little blighters. A very small pinch of the powder will also clear ear mite, and keep the ears clear if used weekly, but do use it sparingly, otherwise you can clog up the ear.

Thornit can be bought on eBay. Vets don't usually approve of 'canker powders', but many breeders use it.

The information and suggestions you have given may help alleviate some of my paranoia, thank you. :rolleyes:

Margaret- I didn't know about the mites & discolored fur on the feet. My foster has this, but I thought it was because he had been kept in a crate and they were urine stained.

Margaret- I didn't know about the mites & discolored fur on the feet. My foster has this, but I thought it was because he had been kept in a crate and they were urine stained.

Well, that could be the cause, but I thought urine leaves more of a yellow stain.

Well, I was thinking yellow + brown = pink? You know what I mean? I think I'll take him to the vet to rule out mites. Thanks!

Pippin chews his foot sometimes had him to the vets and he said it's not allergies but to just distract him.

He has epilepsy and doesn't do it as much since going on medication for that.

When he does it I take his foot and say "Mine" you should see his little face, of course this needs to be followed up with hugs and kisses...he insists :)

The thing I notice is, his saliva turns his foot a pinky brown colour if he's at it long enough.

Sometime foot chewing can be habitual - perhaps she had at one stage had a problem with her feet/foot & it was itchy & now it's turned into a habit. Our head behaviourist (in the UK) told us to watch for this in the kennels & said it can be that the dogs gets a boost of happy hormones when they do a certain behavious which then leads to it becoming a habit & try distraction therapy if we notice it.

Back