Thread: Need a new food - confused!

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a new food - confused!

Quincy is now almost 11 months old, and weighs 20 pounds. The vet said he has gained too much weight too quickly, and I should change his food. I had been feeding him Natural Balance Small Bites, for small breed puppies to adults. I am so confused looking for a new food! How much protein and fat should he be getting? He's a very lazy dog, but he does love a couple of good walks each day. Should I give him a low calorie food? I currently feed him 1/2 cup, twice a day, and I can't imagine giving him any less, because he gobbles it right down.

Any food recommendations? I'm looking for something in the medium price range. He previously ate Wellness, and didn't do well on it ( itchy, lots of gas, frequent scooting - all stopped when I switched to Natural Balance).

Any advice is welcome!
    Quincy - tri-color 12/25/08

Post Thanks / Like

If he does well on Natural Balance, I would keep him on it, but cut down to 1/3 cup twice a day and then top with a handful of green beans so he feels full. They're low in calories but add bulk- all of mine love them.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

I echo what Trisha said. Green beans are a great filler and my dogs love them.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Do you buy bags of frozen green beans and thaw them each day??? This sounds like a good idea, but not sure how to serve them.
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008

Post Thanks / Like

My local grocery store has Green Line fresh green beans in a bag that I put in the microwave for a couple of minutes. One bag is enough to last my four vacuum cleaners about three days. I used to buy canned Del Monte green beans without salt but just heard a report that they have high amounts of the chemical that was found in water bottles (sorry - having old age brain syndrome and can't remember the name of the chemical), so I switched to fresh beans. Needless to sy, they all gobble them up.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

If your brand of dog food (sorry, don't know American brands) does a Senior/Light version, this would help your Cavalier lose weight. It's designed to keep weight off older dogs who can't manage so much exercise, and worked well for my 5-year-old - he could eat almost as many biscuits but lose weight at the same time!

Kate, Oliver the piggy, and Aled