• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

poop poop poop!!!

maguire

i feed cooper four small fistfuls of royal canin dry nuts a day as instructed by the breeder and vet, he is always very hungry but certainly has no worms. i dont feed him any tit bits as he is sensitive and has been sick with runs when given different things. he gets some treats of 100% naturel dried chicken fillet for doggies during his training sessions daily and when he is good. just a few small pieces. but he can poop great whoppers up to 4-5 times a day:w*w: since crate training started it is controlled much better but is this normal for a little dog!!:shock:

It's hard to now how much a "fistful" is. With my hands, that would be too much food.

Dry food has a lot of filler, which makes for big and sometimes frequent poops. When I fed Sophie Wellness 'CORE' dry kibble, she had the biggest poops for such a little dog. Orijen fish dry kibble yielded less poops than the Wellness 'CORE'.

Her pre-mixed raw diet, that I've got her on now (Oma's), has the smallest. With the pre-mixed raw brands, the 'fillers' (veggies, potatoes, etc.) affect the size and frequency of the pooping because the dog doesn't digest the fillers. But they're way smaller than with the dry kibble.

I can't remember how old Cooper is, but my Oz was one of the all-time great poopers, probably up to a year old. It seemed like every time he went out he pooped - like Cooper, 4-5 whoppers for such a little thing. He has been really healthy (other than a Grade 1 murmur), gained weight fine and now weighs 14 pounds 9 ounces (approximately 6.6 kg). He now poops about three times a day - and they're still bigger than the girls who weigh approximately the same. Oliver is much bigger and his poops are proportionately bigger.

My girl had a very sensitive tum when younger. I know every dog is different, but those dried chicken fillets used to go straight through her, even though she was perfectly ok with fresh cooked chicken, consequently I thought she would be ok with any kind of chicken. Maybe try a different kind of treat? I tend to keep Phoebe to a pretty basic diet, as I've found what suits her by trial and error and I just play safe now. She is also on RC Cavalier and I'm just changing our 6 month old onto the same thing. :)

This reminds me of when I did Weight Watchers 10 years ago. They state a jacket potatoe should be fist sized. My son saw me in Tesco with a clenched fist trying to find a suitable potatoe. With my size, it was going to be a mere snack. My son leans over and say's Mum, use my fist! :rolleyes:

It might be too much food, better to weigh it. 4-5 poops is average.

4 - 5 poos per day is fine, especially when they are young. I wouldn't worry too much about it. A "fistfull" of food is a very undefined amount - perhaps you could weigh/measure out exactly what you are giving him (ie. put 4 fistfulls into a measuring cup or weigh it on a scales), that way you know exactly how much he is getting and can adjust it if needs be. If he is a good weight and is happy and healthy, you're on the right track! (y)

Hi

Buy some accurate kitchen scales and weigh everything ,Daisy and Rosie have 15 gramme in the morning and same again in the evening and its Royal Canin Light ,while Poppy has 20 gramme of Royal Canin Obese twice a day all topped up with veg . :)

Back