Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: More Disc Surgery Or Not !!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Teesside, NE England
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default More Disc Surgery Or Not !!!!

    I need urgent advice. One of my dogs had fenestration ( spelling ) performed last week, and he has not improved. To the point where I have had to take him back to the specialist this morning, they are doing a CRT scan with dye to have a second look. His MRI was clear other than this minor disc degeneration. The specialist this morning said he was concerned with his limb disorientation, he staggers quite a lot, and when going for Number 2's he quite often collapes to the side. They are looking to see if further disc problems are evident, but he has already mentioned the possiblity of further surgery, and I am still in shock to remember the procedure but it is to remove the discs. I am so worried I will rush my decision and make a mistake, but I don't want him to be in discomfort / pain. He is a brave little lad, and still has period of his old loving self. Any advice greatly appreciated as I am expecting a call in the next 2-3 hours.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hatfield, Herts, UK
    Posts
    2,732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    I'm afraid this is not something I have any experience with, so I do hope someone else will be able to give some advice.

    As a general comment.......I do think you need a little time and a bit more information before you opt for more surgery, although in the end you will probably find it is best to take the specialist's advice.

    I would suggest when when speaking to the Specialist you have a list of whatever you want to ask written down, and you write down what he tells you the latest scan has revealed.

    If they want to operate , check out if the surgery is urgent. If your boy is being kept comfortable then it may be worth telling them that you would appreciate a little time to make a decision.

    His last surgery is so recent, I think you need to be sure of all the facts in your own mind before you can feel right about agreeing to more.
    Margaret C

    Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Teesside, NE England
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    my mind is spinning, spoken to the specialist, and the scan has not shown any new problem. I have another appointment on the 30th from the original surgery. I have decided to try and nurse him through till then before considering more surgery. As I have said, he has his bright moments, just it is distressing seeing him struggle sometime and we feel so useless.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •