• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of MVD

RodRussell

A panel of leading veterinary cardiologists (Atkins, Bonagura, Ettinger, Fox, Gordon, Haggstrom, Hamlin, Keene, Luis-Fuentes, and Stepien) have just published a Consensus Statement on "Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Canine Chronic Valvular Heart Disease." It discusses classifying the degree of progression of MVD -- Stages A, B1, B2, C, and D -- and the types of treatment recommended for each stage.

In the report, Cavaliers are singled out for special attention. For example, every CKCS which does not have an MVD murmur is in the Stage A classification.

The Guidelines are summarized at http://cavalierhealth.org/mitral_valve_disease.htm#ACVIM_Consensus_Statement (or http://tinyurl.com/ycexlj9 for short)

and a pdf of the report is available, for a short time only, at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/122604679/PDFSTART

Very interesting! I sent that to my vets. :)

Sad that cavaliers alone are singled out on the basis that it can be assumed they ALL fall into the 'may not have MVD yet but can be assumed that they will get it.' :(

New Guidelines for the Diagnosis and treatment of MVD

Just wonder if the Comment about All Cavaliers can be assumed to get MVD ,is because there are maybe so many Carriers of MVD Genes around to-day since the Heart Problem has been known about in our Cavalier Breed from the 1940's.

Could I include the mention also in this Post about SM, others have claimed about SM being in other Breeds ,but I think that Neurologists agree that it is worse in the Cavalier Breed.

Is this because ,as I have read in different Cavalier Books, that the Cavalier Breed is what is described as a Man Made Breed, this began in the 1930's ,whan Cavaliers Heads were altered from the King Charles Spaniels 'Dome Heads ,to get the Flat Type of Head Required for the Cavalier Breed.

Responding to Bet's question, looking at paintings and old photos, it is the King Charles which is the 'man-made breed', since their domed heads and flat faces only start appearing around the 1880s, when breeds with this type of head from the Far East (such as Pekingese and Japanese Chins) were first brought to England and became very fashionable; the Charlies' heads were probably the result of cross-breeding. So the efforts to breed King Charles with the old-style flat heads (later classified as a separate breed called Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) was an attempt to breed back to the old type, in response to the American Roswell Eldridge's prize at Crufts for the best old type toy spaniel. So the early Cavaliers were essentially throw outs from Charlie litters who had thrown back to the long nosed, flat-headed type. Talking to a friend who has both Cavaliers and Charlies, there is quite a lot of SM in their breed as well (though they are of course numerically very much smaller than Cavaliers, so the numbers with SM are correspondingly smaller) - so perhaps that's where the Chiari Malformation in Cavaliers came from!

There is a useful history of the breed (based on latest research and club archives) and fascinating photos of the first 'resurrected' Cavaliers and the first shows in the Millennium edition of the Cavalier Club Year Book. Incidentally, it's interesting, looking at the photo of Ann's Son who was the model for the Cavalier breed standard, to see how narrow his skull was compared with many of today's (though the angle of the photo rather distorts his head shape, unfortunately). He was such a pretty dog.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Last edited:
it is the King Charles which is the 'man-made breed', since their domed heads and flat faces only start appearing around the 1880s, when breeds with this type of head from the Far East (such as Pekingese and Japanese Chins) were first brought to England and became very fashionable; the Charlies' heads were probably the result of cross-breeding.
I think that a fashion started, and I will go somewhat off topic as some may find this interesting but I will include some information about Pekingese dogs in history.

Things seemed to start with people in the UK plus elsewhere wanting things like tea, spices, silk and porcelain from China where the British initially paid for this with Silver. Later as the quantities dramatically increased and there was less Silver left the currency paid to China then became Opium from India, in particular from what is today Pakistan and Afghanistan region plus there was also some Opium from Turkey. I am talking about each year heaps of tons of Opium. The Chinese Emperor seeing heaps of his people in all classes using Opium recreationally and this too often plus the corruption that was going on then decided to stop the trade, that led to what was called "The Opium Wars".

During the Second Opium War, in 1860, the Forbidden City was invaded by Allied troops, including British. The Emperor Xianfeng had fled with all of his court. However, an elderly aunt of the emperor remained. When the ‘foreign devils’ entered, she committed suicide. She was found with her five Pekingese mourning her passing. They were removed by the Allies before the Old Summer Palace was burnt. The invaders also removed many other valuable things before torching the Palace.

Lord John Hay took a pair of the Pekingese, later called ‘Schloff’, and ‘Hytien’ and gave them to his sister, the Duchess of Wellington, wife of Henry Wellesley, 3rd Duke of Wellington. Sir George Fitzroy took another pair, and gave them to his cousins, the Duke and Duchess of Richmond and Gordon. Lieutenant Dunne presented the fifth Pekingese to Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, who named it LOOTY.

Yes when dogs such as these were shown around by these people then others wanted them where a fashion started. Back then cross breeding commonly occurred even to produce certain looks that were in fashion.

New Guidelines for the Diagosesand Treatment of MVD

Kate mentioned ANN'S SON, I think I have mentioned this before, Miss Mostyn Walker ,the Owner and Breeder of Ann's Son, has cataghorically said , Ann's Son was a Papillion.

Thanks EddyAnne for your mention of the Pekes.

Is not the Problem with the Cavaliers ,it was Man Made only about 70 years ago, in the 1930's, could this be when the first of the Problems began for Cavaliers with their Malformed Bone, then the SM Problem was either made much worse or introduced by the Heads of Cavaliers becoming Smaller in the 1980's .

I wonder if this is the look that appealed to Cavalier Breeders ,not because they liked it especially ,but because , this Smaller Cavalier Head began to Win at Cavalier Shows.

When you think about it, all that is important for many Cavalier Breeders ,is their Show Winning Sucesses.

Is this why many Cavalier Breeders are so against the APGAW's Recommendations, that before Cavaliers are made up to be Champions ,they have to be Health Tested.

Could this just maybe be the Reason why our Cavaliers are suffering so much Pain from SM and MVD , is to satisfy the Egos of a number of Cavalier Breeders who attend the Cavalier Shows.

The Health Problems of our Cavalier Breed can't be blamed on Cavalier Pet Owners, we are being left with with the Tears and Heart Ache seeing the suffering of Beloved Cavaliers caused by the Breeding of Cavaliers by a number of Cavalier Breeders,.

Bet

Aren't ALL purebred dogs MAN MADE by definition???

Anne's Son a Pappillon?? It has been said that his Sire may have been a pappillon! but as far as I know it has not been confirmed.

It does seem to be a matter of opinion on whether the cavalier head is smaller now. In the past there was greater diversity in size shape of cavalier heads, and cavaliers in general. (And still is outside the show ring) The Classic head is still a classic head - and can be seen at any large show you may care to attend.

New Guidelines for the Diagnoses and Treatment of MVD

Yorkie Sue ,
When I said Cavaliers were Man Made, I don't know of another Breed that was Man Made only 70 years ago. Perhaps some-body could put me right about this.

About Ann's Son, this has been written about in Bruce Field's Book,The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel ,

About the Cavaliers having Smaller Skulls than 20 years ago ,we had'nt been to any Cavalier Shows for about 15 years, 2 years ago we wen't to a Cavalier Champ Show at Lanark, that was the first thing that I noticed ,how much Smaller the Cavaliers' Heads were.

If you Read the APGAW Report ,this has been mentioned in it, the Cavalier heads are too Small for their Brains, Dr C Rusbridge has also mentioned this in in a Recently Published Neurological Veterinary Paper, maybe more will be being said about this at her forth-coming Seminar.

Dr C Rusbridge also gave Oral Information to the APGAW Committee , whether this fact was mentioned ,I have no idea. , but she did say on the PDE TV Film , the Cavalier Brain was like getting a size 10 Foot into a sizw 6 Shoe.

Miss Mostyn Walker ,the Owner and Breeder of Ann's Son, has cataghorically said , Ann's Son was a Papillion.
I thought that this was a photo of Ann's Son, if not then please let me know.

AnnsSon.jpg

Bet - It has been well documented by now that the reason the cavalier brain is too big for the skull is that there is a breakdown in communication between the skull and the brain in foetal development. The brain does not 'switch off' growing. If it did then this would not happen. It is nothing to do with the skull being bred too small as far as I understand it.

You went to a show a couple of years ago and you say you noticed that the cavalier heads were smaller. This is something You noticed. It doesn't make it a scientific fact - which is how you are trying to protray it.

Anne's Son a Pappillon?? It has been said that his Sire may have been a pappillon! but as far as I know it has not been confirmed.
I really don't know, but to achieve results rather quickly maybe a Papillon might have been used, such as maybe the drop eared Papillon called the Phalene and here is a photo of a modern day Phalene. Maybe someone can let us know exactly what happened way back then.

Just%20Hunter%20BOB.JPG

New Guidelines for the Diagnoses and Treatment for MVD

EddyAnne .

Should have checked what I had Posted , Miss Mostyn Walker had said ,that

ANN's Son was the Off-Spring of a Tri- Colour Bitch and a Papillon.

I have a Photo Copy of his Pedigree mentioning this.

All we know is that Mrs Amice Pitt ,the Founder of the Cavalier Breed said Ann's Son was born in 1924, the Kennel Club's Registration of Ann's Son was, 29 -4 -1927.

This is what makes the History of our Cavalier Breed so interesting.

I once wrote this for a Cavalier Magazine about the age of Ann's Son and his Last Litter ,what age was he Really.

The Cavalier is a Wonderful ,Happy -go -Lucky ,Fun Loving Breed .

Perhaps this will add as further Enchantment to their History .

The Vision ,ANN'S SON , Tail Waving ,Familiar Cavalier Grin .

Well did I ,or Didn't I !!!

Bet thanks for the information.

By the way, any chance of scaning the photocopy and emailing it to me, maybe even put a copy here in this thread so all can see.

Eddy Anne,

I will try to do this but I will need to send the Photo Copy by Post. There will always be the doubters who will say it is false.

When I found out about the TWO Dates of Birth of Ann's Son ,and wrote about this, I WAS NOT the FLAVOUR of the MONTH amongst some of the elderly Cavalier Folk, in fact ,got a Letter telling me to Shut about It. Times have never changed for Me !!!

I thought that this was a photo of Ann's Son, if not then please let me know.

AnnsSon.jpg

This dog was the 'live specimen' used to draw up the original cavalier standard in 1928. Would he win in the show ring now?

There is no doubt that what is considered desired type has changed greatly over the decades.

Footnote....... for some reason the photo, which showed on the preview, has not shown up here.
You will therefore need to go back to posts on page 1 to see Ann's son

Last edited:
Eddy Anne,

I will try to do this but I will need to send the Photo Copy by Post. There will always be the doubters who will say it is false.

When I found out about the TWO Dates of Birth of Ann's Son ,and wrote about this, I WAS NOT the FLAVOUR of the MONTH amongst some of the elderly Cavalier Folk, in fact ,got a Letter telling me to Shut about It. Times have never changed for Me !!!
Bet if the photocopied Pedigrees mentioning this then that could be verified with the Kennel Club pedigree records.

By the way Bet, some time back I thought "short nosed dogs" were used as late as 1935 eg. "Springvale Pharoah". Later I heard from someone that between 1945 and until 1980 there has been "interbreedings". Could this be so, and if so do you have any photocopy pedigree information from KC records.

I found a site a while back which also speaks to Ann's Son having a Papillon sire (Phalene).

http://www.shealagh.fsnet.co.uk/King Charles Spaniel.html

"Anns Son the dog on whom the Cavalier King Charles Breed Standard was drawn ,was, in fact a Papillion , King Charles Spaniel cross mating (This was verified by Mrs Phyliss Watson with cared for Anns son for over 8 years worked for Mrs Raymond Mallock Ashtonmore.

(Also Anns Son's litter sister was aTricolour and you can't get a tricolour from blen x blen mating )

This mating was repeated several times but never produced another dog like Anns Son again.
Many things have been written about the history of our breed and the way the King Charles Spaniel evolved The only certainty is that any of the things, that went into its makeup are beyond recall and we must give all our attention and carry on with the dogs we actually have today. But, it is said ,that when you own a King Charles Spaniel you own a piece of history."
I thought the comment about a tricolor pup (or pups, wasn't there a brother as well?) was very telling, as genetics make it impossible to get tricolor pups from two blenheim parents.

A copy of Ann's son's pedigree can be found at this link.

http://www.arkwebshost.com/nonprofit/cavalierkcsuk/Cavalier_King_Charles_Spaniel_History.shtml

As Pekingese were mentioned, I also wanted to show some old photos which seem to reflect how little was established (regarding breeds) back in the early 1900s.

PekingeseandTwoChin.jpg

Ta-JenSmoothPekingese.jpg

Those were from the Pekingese Club Of America.

http://www.thepekingeseclubofamerica.com/The Pekingese and The Happa Dog, with photos.pdf

And I think this one from "Toy Dogs And Their Ancestors", is interesting with its accompanying excerpt.

Billyagain.jpg

New Guidelines for the Diagnoses and Treatment of MVD

EddyAnne,

Yes ,Crest by Candlelight Cavalier was Mated to Suntop Joyful Cocker Spaniel.

Crest by Candlelight ,Cavalier Dog B/T ,born 1-11-49.

I don't have Pedigrees only the Kennel Club Breed Supplements from 1920.

This is why I wonder if there could be to-day controlled Matings between Cavaliers and Cocker Spaniels so that the Cavaliers could have Larger Skulls.

Since Dr Rusbridge has said the Cavalier Skulls are too Small for their Brains.

Oreo,

Thanks for the information ,a number of years ago I spoke with Mrs .P Watson on the Phone, about Ann's Son, I got into enough trouble at the time , when I was mentioning about that there might be doubt's about the age of Ann's Son, Mrs, Watson so I kept quiet,said that in 1928 ,when she had held him, he was nearer 4 years of age ,the age Mrs Pitt gave him as being born in 1924 ,than the age of being born in 1927.He would have been 15 when he Sired his last Litter, not impossible, but what I never could understand ,was when he was such a credit to the Breed ,in his life-time ,he only Sired 11 Litters.I have spoken with a Cavalier Breeder who visited Miss Mostyn Walker's Kennels in the mid 1930's, Ann's Son was nowhere to be seen.I know I have read a lot of Agatha Christie 's Novels, but....

So if Ann's Son did'nt Sire his Last Litter, which contained DAYWELL NELL,Ch Daywell Roger's Dam, what a lot of doubtful Cavalier Pedigrees could be around.

The Mind Boggles. !!

Back