• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of MVD

Interesting! On page 195 (I skimmed) she mentions that "inflammation of the brain" is one of the most common results of excessive inbreeding. I have to wonder if this is an early reference to SM.
Yes that is interesting on Page 196 and folks here is a copy of that part.

InbreedInflamBrain5.jpg

New Guidelines for the Diagnoses and Treatment for MVD.

I have mentioned this before ,but could the reason be for the severe MVD Heart Problem afflicting Cavaliers, be that no notice has been taken by Cavalier Breeders through-out the years ,since the 1940's when Cavaliers were known to be dying with Heart Trouble at an Early Age, and Cavaliers were being used at Stud ,also known to be suffering from Heart Trouble, that there are now so many Cavalier Carriers around now with the MVD Gene/ Genes,that this is why the Kennel Club has recently said that MVD is the Biggest Killer for the Cavalier Breed,and the UK CKCS CLUB have said that MVD is the NO 1 Health Priority for the Cavalier Breed.

I have also recently contacted the the LUPA Researchers in Denmark,asking this question ,and I got the Reply,that yes ,there is every possibilty ,that there could be many ,many Cavaliers now carrying the MVD Gene/Genes.

I also about a couple of months ago got in touch with Professor J Bell ,Geneticist, at Tufts University ,America ,asking him the same question.

His reply was that the only hope the Cavalier Breed has is NOT to Breed from ,as is stated in the Cavalier UK CKCS Breeding Guidelines,before the Cavalier is 2.5 years of age.

I am soooo technology challenged. I couldn't figure out how to download from this link. I'm still trying if anyone wants to walk me through it as I'd like to see if the PDF loads more easily than the ones I've saved before.

Originally Posted by RodRussell
http://tinyurl.com/ybeg2e2 .

If you go to the link above, it takes you to a page where you can either click on "Read this book", or below it, Download: PDF

If you click on the highlighted PDF, a download dialog box will open up, and you decide to save it to your computer, or open it. It's a 20MB file.

If you go to the link above, it takes you to a page where you can either click on "Read this book", or below it, Download: PDF

If you click on the highlighted PDF, a download dialog box will open up, and you decide to save it to your computer, or open it. It's a 20MB file.

[/I]
That may appear to be the case where you are in this world, but when viewing that page where I am nowhere does it mention highlighted PDF, and then "Read this book", or below it, Download: PDF. I suppose what can actually be viewed regarding some things and what can be available for download might have something to do with what country you are in and what copyright laws may apply.

I had no problems downloading via the link addresses that Oreo provided.

Last edited:
Thanks LisaT and Eddyanne. I don't seem to get the "read this book" or "download" links. icon_nwunsure I thought I was just observationally challenged until Eddyanne posted, so I'm glad not to be the only one.

New Guidelines for the Diagnoses and Treatment of MVD

Read the quote about Inflammation of the Brain could be being caused by Inbreeding.

In the early 1980's there was quite a bit of Half Brother to Half Sister Matings taking place in our Cavalier Breed.

The SM Problem is recorded being around at that time.

Could there be a Link in this. Any thoughts?

I can find the download here where I live. It might be a server issue. I am using my hubbie's PC so there is no way I am going to try to download such a huge file. It does look like you can download individual chapters though. I will have to try later on my own trusty Mac. It looks interesting.

J.

New Guidelines for Treatment of MVD - FOR SUE

A panel of leading veterinary cardiologists (Atkins, Bonagura, Ettinger, Fox, Gordon, Haggstrom, Hamlin, Keene, Luis-Fuentes, and Stepien) have just published a Consensus Statement on "Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Canine Chronic Valvular Heart Disease." It discusses classifying the degree of progression of MVD -- Stages A, B1, B2, C, and D -- and the types of treatment recommended for each stage.

In the report, Cavaliers are singled out for special attention. For example, every CKCS which does not have an MVD murmur is in the Stage A classification.

The Guidelines are summarized at http://cavalierhealth.org/mitral_valve_disease.htm#ACVIM_Consensus_Statement (or http://tinyurl.com/ycexlj9 for short)

and a pdf of the report is available, for a short time only, at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/122604679/PDFSTART

Sue - per my answer to your PM, this is the report that you can read that discusses the various stages and treatment for MVD. If the link doesn't work for you, I do have a pdf of the report that I can email directly to your email address if you'll send me another pm.

Pat

Back