Thread: Eating too quickly??

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Eating too quickly??

Guinness (14 weeks) *loves* to eat, but afterwards he'll make some gagging noises, and he burps quite a bit, he's never thrown anything up, and it doesn't seem to upset him at all. I'm just wondering if that's normal. Currently he is getting a mix of Science Diet (small breed puppy), and Nutro Ultra Puppy.

He eats very enthusiastically, so I'm wondering if maybe he is swallowing air as he eats, or if there could be something else going on.

Post Thanks / Like

I know my mother's lab had to move to the 'brake fast' bowl to slow his eating as he was in danger of 'bloat' which apparently is something big dogs can get from eating too fast. It's this bowl with plastic 'fingers' that stick up and the dog has to eat between the fingers so it takes them longer. Plus, the bowl skids all over the floor, thus slowing the eating down still further. Very funny to watch but apparently does the job. He's gone from inhaling his food in seconds to taking three minutes.
    Rosie (3 year old Blen) Tasha (Black & Tan puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

I think your hunch is right and he is eating too fast. Try puttting an object in the bowl, like a tennis ball, so that he has to eat around it and as a result will eat slower. There are also products on the market designed for this purpose (special bowls, ceramic balls etc.). Cavaliers are deep chested dogs and are also at risk of bloat (as well as larger dogs - labs, danes etc.) so getting him to slow down is important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com