• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eating too quickly??

Soushiruiuma

Guinness (14 weeks) *loves* to eat, but afterwards he'll make some gagging noises, and he burps quite a bit, he's never thrown anything up, and it doesn't seem to upset him at all. I'm just wondering if that's normal. Currently he is getting a mix of Science Diet (small breed puppy), and Nutro Ultra Puppy.

He eats very enthusiastically, so I'm wondering if maybe he is swallowing air as he eats, or if there could be something else going on.

I know my mother's lab had to move to the 'brake fast' bowl to slow his eating as he was in danger of 'bloat' which apparently is something big dogs can get from eating too fast. :( It's this bowl with plastic 'fingers' that stick up and the dog has to eat between the fingers so it takes them longer. Plus, the bowl skids all over the floor, thus slowing the eating down still further. Very funny to watch but apparently does the job. He's gone from inhaling his food in seconds to taking three minutes.

I think your hunch is right and he is eating too fast. Try puttting an object in the bowl, like a tennis ball, so that he has to eat around it and as a result will eat slower. There are also products on the market designed for this purpose (special bowls, ceramic balls etc.). Cavaliers are deep chested dogs and are also at risk of bloat (as well as larger dogs - labs, danes etc.) so getting him to slow down is important.

Back