• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weight gain

meljoy

I have just weighed Leo and am totally shocked!!

He now weighs nearly 13kg :eek::eek::eek:

I started him on a new Holistic diet two days ago so Im hoping that will reduce his weight dramatically.

He's quite a big dog anyway and the vet said he should be about 11kg.

I feel terrible that ive let him put on so much weight. As well as the new food and NO more treats excepts veg sticks ive expanded his daily walks too......you never know I might lose weight too:xfngr:

Mel

All the more to cuddle?

Amazing how they can grow fat on just the sniff of a biscuit.

I'm good at keeping my dogs on a diet, not so good when I am faced with a goodie myself.

Margaret - I was just thinking the same thing. All of my dogs are slim and trim, but just mention the word potato chips to me and I gain 5 pounds. Once a bag is open, I have to finish it. Wish I had the willpower I impose on my dogs.

I'm taking Pippin to be weighed tomorrow as when I bathed him today I thought he looked a lot chunkier than usual. I can feel a diet coming on (while trying to keep weight on the two girls.) Pippin eats so fast he finishes long before Maddie and Brandy already, so if I cut his food down I'll have to be ready to grab him as soon as he's finished so he doesn't steal the girls food - both of whom have a bad habit of walking away from their bowls for a couple of seconds then coming back to carry on eating. And those two seconds are all Pippin would need.:biggrin:

I've tried feeding them in separate rooms, but Maddie wont eat unless Pippin is eating. Fussy moo.:sl*p:

It wasn't until my son called Mindy a soccer ball (football for those of you in the UK) that I realized that she was far rounder than she should be. It took awhile with less food and more walks but she did lose the weight.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Margaret you're right it is more to cuddle but something has to be done:rolleyes:

I like the soccerball description Im afraid Leo has the potential to look like a barrel with a leg on each corner:fool:

At least he likes the new food.

Mel

Good luck with the weight loss plan!

I found the best food for weight loss was Burns chicken and rice dry food - it really helped take off and keep off weight, even for the neutered dogs, without them being hungry all the time. Found it far better - and cheaper - than any of the veterinary diets for weight loss.

We use veg as treats, esp raw carrot - also rice cakes, filling with very few calories.

Make sure no-one else in the house is sneaking them tidbits!!

Exercise is probably the most important thing though...

MadPip, could you not keep Pippin on the lead whilst he is eating?

Hi Madpip

The best way for me ,as I carefully weigh the food for all of them ,is to feed Poppy ,Daisy and Rosie in their own crates and leave Lily free ,then they all just eat their own food.:)

Nikki,
thanks for the tips, I never thought of rice cakes...what a good idea.

No one else is sneaking him treats the kids are better than me at resisting his big brown eyes :roll:

Mel

My "kids" all love rice cakes, but when I give them as a treat before I go out, I come home to little pieces of rice in their ears and sucked on ears from trying to get the rice out. I still give them the rice cakes though, and then just give their ears a good cleaning and brushing afterwards.

Back