• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Splitting pills

kimy27

Bailey has started a two week trial of furosemide for her SM. The pills are 20mg and are tiny. I have to give her a third of a tablet twice a day. It is impossible to split the pills into three equal pieces and I was wondering if it would be ok to crush them up and put in a piece if cold meat instead?

Jasper is also on 20mg Frusemide tablets for his heart problems, they are very small and from going from a whole tablet down to 1/2 he has 1/4 every other day now, but with practise I have managed to cut them down with a small sharpe pointed knife and pop his tablets in a small piece of ham or chicken and he has taken them with no problems.

I wonder if you would be better with the 40mg tablets - these are quite a bit bigger and do divide quite well - obviously into 6 pieces!! I have had to do that in the past.

Sometimes vets don't actually think about the practicalities of dosing with small dogs - mention to them that it is really hard to divide a small pill into 3!!

These are human meds so not really designed into dog sized dosages

Ruby is on 20mg twice a day and reading some others' posts it seems that is quite alot!

Couldnt imagine having to split them they are TINY!!!!!!

I occasionally have to split Riley's 5 mg prednisone tablets which are also tiny. They split really nicely with a pill cutter that I got at the pharmacy. I think it cost a few dollars. It has a little channel where you put the pill and then it has a really sharp blade whcih you bring down on the piull with a handle. Very easy and much cleaner cuts and less waste than with a knife. Although if your pills are as small as these, I can't imagine cutting them into thirds. I might call the pharmacy or vet to see if you could give them in powdered form.

Pill cutters are great. My pharmacist gave me one as a present for Leo :). You could crush them too I should think, then use a thin piece of card or razor blade to divide into small piles of three.

Back