• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Best Food????

aquaceri

Hi Guys,

another question from me I'm afraid - When I got Ben his previous owners told me that he was fed on tins of pedigree chum - so me being a novice with dogs and Ben being my first one i continued feeding him what they told me too, the only change I made was to change from wet food to dry as the wet gave him the runs....I have now been told that this supermarket food is like mcdonalds for doggies and the worst thing I could be feeding him :eek::( :( I feel so guilty :mad:, now that I have Stitchy as well I am wondering what is the best food I can give them, My vet sells Hills but somebody said it makes their coats dry, somebody else I know uses Husse....its all so confusing! I want to give them both the best - any advice would be most welcome!

I'm a big fan of Arden Grange, I feed my two the sensitive dry food. Cassie loves it too. It really sorted out Bosco's runny poos, so a good result for us. The only problem is there seems to be an issue getting the food delivered to the pet shops. My local pet shop is having difficulty getting the large bag delivered for me (cheaper in the long run). Does anyone else have this problem?

Definitely Arden Grange.
My vet carries it as does the local pet shop but sometimes the availability isn't all it could be.
Royal canin is good also and My mother feeds hers on Burns and thinks it's great for her greedy fat cavalier Parker:p.The kibble is nice and hard and takes a while to crunch through it.
Sins

Hi

My four alternate between Royal Canin /Burns /Arden Grange and Fish 4 Dogs ,they are all quality foods also James W B

I would definitely not primarily feed a dog on tins of anything -- ths can lead to gum disease more quickly (and many dogs are prone to it).

I think any good quality food is fine -- supermakret foods are cheap for a reason; they use low quality sources of protein and fillers (hence lots of meals and digest and often, colourants etc). I like James Wellbeloved. Royal Canin is good, and Dogtrainingireland.com has started to carry two excellent holistic foods, Luath's and Robbie's, made by one of the Burns brothers (formerly of Burns foods, made in UK). I am quite impressed with both those foods. I feed my own on Jamed Wellbeloved and will also start Robbie's I think. Stitch will have been getting James Wellbeloved dry food while in foster.

Never have tried Arden Grange but the ingredient list is pretty similar to any of the above, or Clinivet is good too. Easiest to find in Dublin area are James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin, Robbie's, Burns. I buy the largest bags as this is up to 50% cheaper than going for small bags.

Thanks guys, I will check out the arden grange and see if my vet or pet store stock it, I know they stock royal canin so I may give that a try. thanks for the advice!

Hi Karlin, yes Thelly left some food with me which he is still getting through, i couldnt remember the name she said! Thanks I will keep him on this if that's what he has been used to...

Back