Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mistress Megan of mine is eleven today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mistress Megan of mine is eleven today

My precious ruby, Megan, has made it to her 11th birthday today, in spite of several setbacks. I’m pleased to say that at the moment she is well, happy and enjoying her day with her three pals and I thought I'd like to share such an important milestone with you all. She is the first of my Cavaliers to live longer than 10 years.

Megan arrived at our house on Easter Monday 1999 – the same day as a young French friend, a grand-daughter of the family I first got to know when I was a student in France in the 1960s!! It was Caroline who chose her green collar and lead, and we have stuck to green ever since as it suits her so well.

At first we called her Nutmeg, because of her beautiful colour, but that soon got shortened to Meg. She was 5 months old, but in spite of this young age, we were already her 5th home!!! She was bred in Warwickshire, then sold to somebody in Gloucestershire, then sold on again with a view to showing. However, that didn’t work out, so she was advertised in our local paper. I answered the ad, but she had already gone and I was very disappointed, as you can all imagine.

To my great joy, a couple of months later she was back again – the new owner had taken a full time job and, thank goodness, had the good sense to return her. This time I just wasn’t to be denied – she was definitely “meant” for me, so came to live with us as a companion for our then 8-year old Black and Tan, Louie.

Unfortunately her first twelve months did not run smoothly. Within 4 weeks of her arrival I found myself suddenly hospitalised for surgery and a course of chemotherapy. I was absolutely determined that Megan wouldn’t go to home number 6. Thankfully I had a marvellous and supportive husband and in-laws and several good “doggy” friends, who got us through a very sticky time.

Since that difficult start, Megan has had an enormously varied life, travelling frequently with us to see family in Devon and staying with many kind friends when we have had to go abroad. She takes everything in her stride and is the wisest, calmest, waggiest pal anyone could wish to have.

Even though she is totally deaf and was first diagnosed with SM and hydrocephalus in 2006, she seems quite stable on her medication regime, enjoys regular short walks and eats for England.

Long may it be so, my lovely, lovely girl – you could not be more special to us.

Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

What are your beauty secrets Megan? You don't look your age at all
    ....¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
    ¨°º¤ø„¸Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's ¸„ø¤º°¨
    ¸„ø¤º°*¨''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'¨°º¤ø„¸
    ,¸„ø¤º°¨'*"¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ "*'¨°º¤ø„¸

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh bless her she is an absolute darling. Something so very precious about these oldies...

I'm so gald she came to you, she was obviously meant to be yours , and what a wonderful life she has shared with you - you have many special happy memories to treasure. I hope she will be with you for years to come yet, creating more memories.

to a lovely old lady - and here's to many more.

I just adore the Rubies - she looks so dignified...but I wonder if she is a little scallywag at heart like most of the Rubies!!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

what a beautiful lady!!
    Megan, and many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

What a beautiful Lady! Happy Birthday Megan .

(There seems to be lots of november birthdays!)
    Last edited by pippa; 25th November 2009 at 02:21 PM.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Megan

You are a beautiful Lady ,and Happy Birthday To You and lots and lots more .The two of you were meant to be together
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Megan is a real beauty.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09

Post Thanks / Like

She's adorable! Happy birthday Megan

Sins

Post Thanks / Like

What a good story, I was going to say ending, but it is not finished yet....So glad you and Megan are good. very happy birthday Megan!
    Chuck, Cooper and Nina
    Shelter dogs aren't broken. They've simply experienced more life than other dogs. If they were human, we would call them wise. They would be the ones with tales to tell and stories to write. Do not pity a shelter dog. Adopt one.

Post Thanks / Like

Very very to Megan 11 years young. Oooh shes luvly!