• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Diarrhea at night!

pikkupupu

Hi everyone!

Minni has been perfectly sleeping through the night, no problems. But last weekend we had guests and after that everything started...

The whole night EVERY hour she woke up and whined and we had to take her out because she had diarrhea. Back then it was rather liquidish. Next day she was given nothing except sour milk, medecine and her porridge that breeder gave us for tummy. Day time - everything is ok. That night everything was ok also.

Next day we again had visitors because we needed to do some work in the house. And we tried to give her her usual food already. Daytime ok, but at night - again every 45 minutes out.

Then we gave her again the same mixture. And at night everything was ok. So next day we again introduced her own food. And again this night she had diarrhea ALL NIGHT LONG! This time it was more like pudding.

She had her parvo injections already and the poo is without any signs of blood, she is not vomiting, doesn't look distressed, she is quite energetic...but has this diarrhea.

What could it be? Do we give her normal food too early? h*lp

Usually, I advise (and it usually works) to starve for 24 hours and then have a light diet for a few days but because she is young (I'm going by your avatar pic here), I wouldn't starve her. If she is over 6 months, starving her for 24 hours is ok, then try feeding her the porridge and some chicken and rice for a few days until it clears up. Generally, milk (or sour milk in this case) is a no no for a dodgy belly - it can aggravate things further, and often dairy causes diarrhea as opposed to curing it. When you put her on her normal diet, I wouldn't do this until the diarrhea has stopped. Try to do it slowly so as not to irritate her stomach - gradually reducing the bland food and slowly introducing the normal food over a few days.

If the diarrhea continues while she is on the bland diet for a week or more, I would recommend that you bring her to a vet. She may have an infection and need some drugs to clear it completely. Hope she is feeling better soon. :)

Thank you! She is 14 weeks now. I am already boiling her rice, but I don't have chicken right now, will buy it today. Will be trying to feed it for several days and then little by little increasing her usual food.

But one thing that surprises me is that diarrhea comes only at night! Though we fed her normal food also during the day time...

Hi

Fully agree ,a bland diet such as Chicken and Rice is ideal till the little ones tummy settles down.:smile:

Sounds to me like what you feed her doesn't sit well for her system. It took me forever to find a food that Loki could eat without getting diarrhea. I ended up cutting out all food with chicken and grains. He has been on grain free 'Taste of the Wild' salmon because of his food allergies & doing great. :smile:

Back