• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poisoned for a 2nd time - Bluebell :(

How awful. Poor Bluebell. Sure hope they find out what's wrong and it's something that can be treated. Will be thinking of you both and praying for an answer.

Well, Bluebell is home.

She has pancreatitis. I have to feed her Hill's Prescription i/d food, with no treats at all. (She didn't have many treats anyway).... the vet said it was the worst case of it she has seen, the other thing that might have upset her system (i am going to ask the vet) is that she was on cod liver oil and glucozamine (for her joints) - i have stopped these now as they might not have helped. She seems happy to be home, and she has had a bath and is now asleep on my lap! She is back at the vets next friday for a check up. At least we know what it is now i guess.

:jmp2:
So pleased you have Bluebell is back home. At least now you know what's wrong. Have a good weekend snuggled up with your lovely dogs.

So glad you got Bluebell at home and especially for the weekend. At least you know what is wrong with her. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

I'm so glad you've got Bluebell home, and also that you have a diagnosis. A Cavalier at training had pancreatitis a few years ago, but once recovered never looked back. I hope it's the same for Bluebell as well.

Poor little Bluebell. Glad she is home with you now, and you've had a diagnosis. Hope she feels much better very soon.

Glad you know what's wrong at least...delighted you have her home, wishing your little one a speedy recovery.

So relieved to hear that Bluebell is back home with you and on the mend. It's got to be a relief to know what is wrong and to know it's something you can work with.

So glad she is better. Pancreatitis is a serious illness in humans as well. Some cannot eat for weeks and have to be on IV nutrition. Keep up with the diet and sounds like she will perk up soon.

Well, Bluebell is home.

She has pancreatitis. I have to feed her Hill's Prescription i/d food, with no treats at all. (She didn't have many treats anyway).... the vet said it was the worst case of it she has seen, the other thing that might have upset her system (i am going to ask the vet) is that she was on cod liver oil and glucozamine (for her joints) - i have stopped these now as they might not have helped. She seems happy to be home, and she has had a bath and is now asleep on my lap! She is back at the vets next friday for a check up. At least we know what it is now i guess.

I am so glad that Bluebell is home and that you have a diagnosis at last. I am sure she will be much better on the special food.

So far as the Cod Liver Oil and Glucosamine is concerned, I would not stop this without the vet telling you for sure that it has contributed to Bluebell's illness, otherwise you could well end up with a dog with both pancreaitis and stiff joints.

I have used 500 mgs of Cod Liver Oil plus 1 Glucosamine tablet every morning for several of my dogs with stiff joints now, without any problems at all. Maybe if you were giving 1000 mgs of Cod Liver Oil it would be too much, but I think you would see very oily droppings from a dog who was getting too much oil in the diet.

Last edited:
So sorry you are dealing with Pancreatitis - I have had two Cavaliers with this condition.

You have to watch their diet very carefully - you need to watch the oil content of anything you give them.

Personally I would NOT give cod liver oil, the Glucosamine should be sufficient anyway.

Each time they have a flare up unfortunately causes more damage to the Pancreas, which may eventually lead to diabetes.

You want to keep them eating if you possibly can to maintain gut integrity - unless they are vomiting constantly {there are some very good medications to help prevent the vomiting, we have used Cerenia from the vet}

I make up my own version of Hills ID - the recipe came from a booklet they produced some years ago which contained home made versions of their diets. I found this very effective at clearing up diarrhoea episodes - useful for both Pancreatitis and Pancreatic Insuffciency. Denes tinned senior food is also quite good to have in the house as a stand by.

Measurements are USA cup measures but I've added my conversions!

Recipe 1 Highly Digestible diet for Dogs - cottage cheese and egg are very easy to digest

1/2 cup farina cooked to make 2 cups {Semolina, Cream of Wheat} 80g
– bring 400ml of water to the boil in a large saucepan, sprinkle in the semolina stirring constantly. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
1 1/2 cups creamed cottage cheese 375g {there are lots of recipes for cottage cheese on the Internet if you cannot obtain it locally}
1 large egg hard cooked {preferably free range}
2 tablespoons Brewers yeast – I use Engevita, produced by Marigold - from health food shops.
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon veg oil
1 teaspoon potassium chloride – available from E-bay
1 teaspoon dicalcium phosphate – available from E-bay, more readily available in the US.
1 teaspoon calcium carbonate – available from E-bay

Cook semolina {according to directions on packet including any salt}. Cool. Add remaining ingredients to semolina and mix well. Yield 2 lbs approx. I give this amount to my 9.5kg dog over two days.

**Add a balanced supplement which fulfils the canine MDR for all vitamins and trace minerals eg SA37** {or a more natural supplement such as The Missing Link.}

So glad your girl has recovered.

Hills prescription i/d is brilliant. :) I had an instance with a pup I bought at 8wks. She was happy, healthy etc, but her poohs OMG! and I mean it - the poor thing had copious explosive ones all the time and cleaning up was horrendous.
This continued for weeks even after anti-biotics, changes to diets etc etc. In the end the vet suggested Hills i/d and I went "Yeh, Yeh, Yeh, as if ............" but as I had nothing to lose, I tried it, and it was an instant cure. I really couldn't believe it could have been so simple!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this works for you too, at least you know Bluebell has not been poisoned.

Yes, I'm also pleased that you know what itis and there is obviously a lot you can do to help Bluebell now.

Good luck with her diet and new regime and do let us know how she gets on.:lotsaluv:

Back