Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Poisoned for a 2nd time - Bluebell :(

Post Thanks / Like

So glad she is better. Pancreatitis is a serious illness in humans as well. Some cannot eat for weeks and have to be on IV nutrition. Keep up with the diet and sounds like she will perk up soon.
    Suzanne mom to Chelsea(ruby girl), Vivian (tri girl),Kara(rescue kitty), Tyson and Candy(Tonk kittys at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by emmawright View Post
    Well, Bluebell is home.

She has pancreatitis. I have to feed her Hill's Prescription i/d food, with no treats at all. (She didn't have many treats anyway).... the vet said it was the worst case of it she has seen, the other thing that might have upset her system (i am going to ask the vet) is that she was on cod liver oil and glucozamine (for her joints) - i have stopped these now as they might not have helped. She seems happy to be home, and she has had a bath and is now asleep on my lap! She is back at the vets next friday for a check up. At least we know what it is now i guess.
    I am so glad that Bluebell is home and that you have a diagnosis at last. I am sure she will be much better on the special food.

So far as the Cod Liver Oil and Glucosamine is concerned, I would not stop this without the vet telling you for sure that it has contributed to Bluebell's illness, otherwise you could well end up with a dog with both pancreaitis and stiff joints.

I have used 500 mgs of Cod Liver Oil plus 1 Glucosamine tablet every morning for several of my dogs with stiff joints now, without any problems at all. Maybe if you were giving 1000 mgs of Cod Liver Oil it would be too much, but I think you would see very oily droppings from a dog who was getting too much oil in the diet.
    Last edited by ByFloSin; 28th November 2009 at 11:44 AM.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry you are dealing with Pancreatitis - I have had two Cavaliers with this condition.

You have to watch their diet very carefully - you need to watch the oil content of anything you give them.

Personally I would NOT give cod liver oil, the Glucosamine should be sufficient anyway.

Each time they have a flare up unfortunately causes more damage to the Pancreas, which may eventually lead to diabetes.

You want to keep them eating if you possibly can to maintain gut integrity - unless they are vomiting constantly {there are some very good medications to help prevent the vomiting, we have used Cerenia from the vet}

I make up my own version of Hills ID - the recipe came from a booklet they produced some years ago which contained home made versions of their diets. I found this very effective at clearing up diarrhoea episodes - useful for both Pancreatitis and Pancreatic Insuffciency. Denes tinned senior food is also quite good to have in the house as a stand by.

Measurements are USA cup measures but I've added my conversions!

Recipe 1 Highly Digestible diet for Dogs - cottage cheese and egg are very easy to digest

1/2 cup farina cooked to make 2 cups {Semolina, Cream of Wheat} 80g
    bring 400ml of water to the boil in a large saucepan, sprinkle in the semolina stirring constantly. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
    1 1/2 cups creamed cottage cheese 375g {there are lots of recipes for cottage cheese on the Internet if you cannot obtain it locally}
    1 large egg hard cooked {preferably free range}
    2 tablespoons Brewers yeast I use Engevita, produced by Marigold - from health food shops.
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon veg oil
    1 teaspoon potassium chloride available from E-bay
    1 teaspoon dicalcium phosphate available from E-bay, more readily available in the US.
    1 teaspoon calcium carbonate available from E-bay

Cook semolina {according to directions on packet including any salt}. Cool. Add remaining ingredients to semolina and mix well. Yield 2 lbs approx. I give this amount to my 9.5kg dog over two days.

**Add a balanced supplement which fulfils the canine MDR for all vitamins and trace minerals eg SA37** {or a more natural supplement such as The Missing Link.}
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

So glad your girl has recovered.

Hills prescription i/d is brilliant. I had an instance with a pup I bought at 8wks. She was happy, healthy etc, but her poohs OMG! and I mean it - the poor thing had copious explosive ones all the time and cleaning up was horrendous.
    This continued for weeks even after anti-biotics, changes to diets etc etc. In the end the vet suggested Hills i/d and I went "Yeh, Yeh, Yeh, as if ............" but as I had nothing to lose, I tried it, and it was an instant cure. I really couldn't believe it could have been so simple!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this works for you too, at least you know Bluebell has not been poisoned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So pleased you have found out the cause of the problem.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm also pleased that you know what itis and there is obviously a lot you can do to help Bluebell now.

Good luck with her diet and new regime and do let us know how she gets on.
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge