• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

warm crate bedding ?

shippers

We need to buy some new bedding for Lois's crate. Can anyone recommend bedding to fit a 30"crate which is very warm and durable to withstand frequent washing. Our house gets quite cold overnight so wanted something that will keep her snug.

You could always use vetbed which stays dry on surface and lets any moisture go through, great for puppies, but rather expensive. What I have for my dogs is old duvets, either feather or synthetic and then put a duvet cover on them which is easy to wash. If you get single duvets they are easy to wash too and they can get them into the shape they want, mine love them. I get mine from car boot sales (not sure where you are or age of dog). Hope this helps.

I also use old duvets, with a couple of fleece blankets thrown on top for snuggling into.

Hi

My four have just had a change over to their winter bedding ,so on the crate base we have vetbed then a fleece cover on top then an allergy free pillow then topped off with a pet sized sheepskin to keep each of them nice and snug .:)

A little off track but can you let Sally and Lois sleep together? that way they are hot water bottles for each other. Always been my preferred method :D

I made a cover for Sophie's crate at night, basically like one puts on a bird cage at night, but her front door is not covered. It really is cozy in there, and looks like a little den.

Reincarnation

Hi

My four have just had a change over to their winter bedding ,so on the crate base we have vetbed then a fleece cover on top then an allergy free pillow then topped off with a pet sized sheepskin to keep each of them nice and snug .:)

I really do want to come back as one of Brian's 'Flower Girls'

Hi Margaret

I am sure both the girls and I would be very happy to have such an esteemed and World renowned resident Cavalier expert on hand to fuss over them 24/7.:smile::smile::smile::smile::thnku:

I made a cover for Sophie's crate at night, basically like one puts on a bird cage at night, but her front door is not covered. It really is cozy in there, and looks like a little den.

I have put a blanket over Reuben's crate at night from day one, to make it like a den. ALso, because my sons come in late and if he could see them he would want to get up and then need a wee etc etc.

He doesnt move a muscle or make a sound like this with them coming in at 2am and my husband going out to work at 3 or 4am!

I would love to try the duvet in his bed though, we have a cold stone floor in the kitchen and it would be lovely for him on top of his eskimo bed that he sleeps on.

A little off track but can you let Sally and Lois sleep together? that way they are hot water bottles for each other. Always been my preferred method :D

Really wish we could let them sleep together but Sally is not used to sleeping in a crate. From day 1 she has always been good as gold in her bed and never got into anything she shouldn't. Lois is totally the opposite and gets into everything I left her out with sally in the kitchen the other day whilst I went to get a quick shower. When I came down she's tipped the dog food box over (luckily it stayed closed) and pulled the door mat across the room. Lois loves her crate so just want to make her nice and comfy in there overnight.

I like the sound of the duvet though. I'm sure I can one quite cheap from somewhere and give it a try.

Charity shops are quite good for this sort of thing too, especially the covers. Mine even have one in the back of the car to sit on.

Hi

I know this is a bit OT, but this question begs to be asked:
Brian, is there a pea underneath all this?:smile::smile:

Charlie just has a pillow with a pillow case on top and a big blanket, he loves it, he dosnt need to much because one of his beds is right next to the radiator literally, the radiator is right behind his bed, he's a lucky dog!

I know vet bed can be dear to buy, but it really does last for years and is excellent even for *most* destructive dogs - most Cavaliers don't actually manage to destroy it...

It washes and dries really quickly too.

You can get it fairly cheaply on E-bay these days, but I've had some from these people in the past and it was really good quality.

http://www.bronteglen.co.uk/petproducts.asp

Zooplus are quite expensive for theirs, but it is the very best quality and will last forever!!

Basically you get what you pay for...

We have sheepskins on the sofa, especially good if they come in from the garden a bit damp - like vetbed it draws the moisture away from them and then dries naturally in the air. Unfortuantely it needs brushing/combing regularly too!!

Hi Renate

I know I am a bit of a loon or thick or eccentric but what do you mean by pea underneath all this:confused:

OH Brian do you not know the story of the Princess and the Pea???

The story tells of a prince who wants to marry a princess, but is having difficulty finding a suitable partner. Something is always wrong with those he meets, and he cannot be certain they are real princesses. One stormy night (always a harbinger of either a life-threatening situation or the opportunity for a romantic alliance in Andersen's stories), a young woman drenched with rain seeks shelter in the prince's castle. She claims to be a princess, so the prince's mother decides to test their unexpected guest by placing a pea in the bed she is offered for the night, covered by 20 mattresses and 20 featherbeds. In the morning the guest tells her hosts that she endured a sleepless night, kept awake by something hard in the bed; which she is certain has bruised her. The prince rejoices. Only a real princess would have the sensitivity to feel a pea through such a quantity of bedding. The two are married, and the pea is placed in the Royal Museum.

Back