• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

stanleys two back legs going up in the air and hopping when excited ?

stanley09

hi all, just wanted to update you all on stanley and ask your advice. he seems to be fighting his virus, he was with the vet on thursday and his glands have gone down and they felt his nasal congestion and chest sounded much better, he got an injection of a slow release antibiotic which lasts over two weeks, it appears to be working and he sounds much better. One thing we have noticed though is the 'bunny hopping' . when running across the living room, if he is going fast or very excited, his two back legs will lift high and go to one side in tandem. today when my sister in law was over he was so excited and it appeared to be much worse, i think he fell to the side too( hard to know if he slipped as we have tiles ) . It just doesnt look very normal, i am very worried about it but am confused because, he doesnt seem distressed, in pain or phased by it at all. He is still eating lots and in great form. We rang the vet and he said it could be a number of things, to keep a close eye on him, if it gets any worse or he appears to be in pain to bring him down. We are due to return with stanley in a week regardless. I am worried about episode falling down syndrome or SM, he has no other symtoms. great if anyone else has advice or similar stories ..

Stanley is a little bit of a mystery isn't he? It is good to hear that his nasal problem is improving and he is enjoying his food.

I'm afraid I have no advice except to suggest that you wait for the virus to clear completely, and then see whether he is still showing this peculiar gait.
There is a very good website on EFS and it may be worth contacting Barbara Reese if the falling or slipping continues.

Let us know how he gets on.

When Stanley slipped/fell over did he continue to lie there on his side,or get up straight away? With Episodic falling they seem to always fall and lie still as if unconcious,but although they cant move their limbs, their ears & eyes respond to calling or movement. If he managed to get up straight away then you can discount EFS.

Glad the antibiotics helped him.

thanks so much for your responses, i know stanley is a little bit of a mystery. His nose still sounds bad in the mornings. when he slipped / fell he jumps straight back up, he does not lie there at all. he has not had an episode as bad since i posted last. Although when he does run his back hind legs still go in the air and to the side if he is very excited, begining to wonder if its his hips ?
we will be bringing him to the vet in the next few days andf will keep you posted on how he is getting on.

thanks for you responses.

I have met German Shepherds with hip dysplasia and with them this kind of bunny hopping when walking/running is always the giveaway of HD - so definitely worth looking at hips.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I agree with Diddy that it is probably not EFS. Oz had just one episode when he was 4 months old. His legs collapsed on him and he kept trying to get up to go into his crate (his sanctuary) but wasn't able to. He was conscious and alert so it wasn't a seizure. Worth checking out his hips. Just be aware that sometimes they have to sedate the dog to take good x-rays since you can't tell them to lie still and not to move. Well, maybe some dogs are that good, but certainly not any of mine!!

Back