Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yoshi has his MRI tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I'm so sorry. At least you have a diagnosis now and can work to make Yoshi comfortable. There are many of us on this board who can give you help or just listen to your concerns. Allow yourself time to be sad and get used to the diagnosis. It does get easier. Hugs to you, your OH and Yoshi.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Well we are home now, traumatic day - Yoshi didn't react well coming out of the sedative which was really really stressful (he did scream out so) but on the drive home I got to thinking what has actually changed - we know what is wrong with him so in a way it's a good day as we can work now to alleviating all his discomforts.

To be honest we are really lucky, compared to some Cavalier owners, with Yoshi - he only suffers in the Winter, in the summer he's that fearless, active busy Cavalier he's always been, the Winter comes and he starts hiding in corners, gets random pain, scratches so much and is generally a little fearful of things, but he still loves long walks on the heath and I still struggle to keep him inside even when it's raining or freezing cold (crazy dog he is)

Tomorrow we go back to our vets to start treatment etc and hopefully it will be such that in the Winter is is nearly the same naughty little boy he is in the summer.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words I really appreciate it and it was nice to be able to say something where people understand what I was feeling - hopefully we can get this managed and move in the right direction with him. If anyone had tips for diet, supplements etc that can help him I am all ears, I give my animals a little cod liver oil every day with dinner but otherwise everything is fairly standard, dried food and veggies.

Thanks again

Sarenna

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    You probably already have this, but just wanted to note that Clare has a Dutch translation of her basic intro to SM which you and your vet might find useful:

http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.../cmsmdutch.pdf
    I am told there is a great deal of information actually in Dutch on Clare's website as she did her PhD at Utrecht
    I am also informed the vet at BEST certainly treats SM. www.dierenkliniekdenheuvel.nl

I am so sorry you have joined the 'SM Owners Club' but hopefully you can now make sure Yoshi gets the medication he needs.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your very difficult few days. Hope poor Yoshi is now recovering well from his MRI and that things will soon get better for all of you once he starts medication etc.

There are lots of us on here who have been through similar times and now have dogs who are kept comfortable and are able to lead a fairly normal life, so don't despair and do keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Every good wish, Marie-Anne
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarenna,
    I am so sorry to hear the diagnosis but like you said, now you know. Instead of wondering now you can focus on helping Yoshi live the best life possible. He is a very lucky pup to have you for his Mom. This is a very suppportive group of people here with alot of knowledge. I have learned so much in a short time. I found it helpful to write my list of questions for the Dr. on paper so I wouldn't forget. Hang in there!
    Proud Mom to Riley, male B&T, my velcro boy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarenna, I am sorry that you got the diagnosis, but at least you know now where things stand for Yoshi, and that his symptoms should begin to affect him less when he gets started on the meds. Sadly, you are not alone in this.

Just to let you know, I found two main changes in Bosco when he started his meds, one was the scratching reduced, but secondly, he now sleeps more during the day, which can be a side effect of gabapentin. It could take a while for your vet to get the right level of meds for Yoshi, they seem to start low and build it up, so don't panic if there isn't an immediate improvement.
    Best of luck
    Charli

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenna View Post
    . . . on the drive home I got to thinking what has actually changed - we know what is wrong with him so in a way it's a good day as we can work now to alleviating all his discomforts. . . .
    I always get tears in my eyes when I read these posts but the attitude that Sarenna has is the right one. Knowledge is power. Let's hope you can get good relief with medication and have a happy winter.

I am curious if anyone else has noticed seasonal differences in SM symptoms. Our BudBud's symptoms have been generally mild and really not noticeable much at all until late last winter.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't noticed seasonal differences (sometimes it feels like it is always winter here) but twice when Bosco seemed to be really low and out of sorts, there was a heaviness about in the air, and lots of rain followed. Mind you, we have just had a couple of weeks of really heavy rain here, and I haven't noticed any difference this time, so from my point of view, it just depends.

Post Thanks / Like

My Oliver is quite light sensitive (gets pain behind his eyes) - due, his neurologist thinks, to his dilated ventricles (fluid accumulating in the brain - one of the symptoms of Chiari Malformation) causing pressure behind his eyes. I wonder if this is why Yoshi seems worse in the winter - that he is sensitive to artificial light (Oliver is particularly affected by strong fluorescent light)? Perhaps worth thinking about and discussing with your vet - if there does seem to be a connection, an eye shade or doggles might make Yoshi more comfortable.

I always feel like saying to people with newly-diagnosed SM dogs, 'Let battle commence!' At least now you know what you are dealing with, you can fight to keep Yoshi comfortable for as long as possible. Good fighters, us Cavalier people!

Kate, Oliver and Aled