Thread: MDs repair canine mitral valves in experimental research

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default MDs repair canine mitral valves in experimental research

Medical researchers at University of Pittsburgh repair canine mitral valves using radiofrequency ablation (RFA). See "Breaking News" on http://cavalierhealth.org for details.
    --
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very interesting; thanks for the new info.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, many thanks for posting about this. I've passed the info from the website you gave on to my own vet, who is very interested in Cavaliers and has just been awarded his surgery certificate.

He pointed out that the sample size was very small (only 7 dogs) but it's a great start. We have often wondered why humans get surgery for heart failure, but it's rarely, if ever, offered to dogs?
    Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wagtails View Post
    Yes, many thanks for posting about this. I've passed the info from the website you gave on to my own vet, who is very interested in Cavaliers and has just been awarded his surgery certificate.

He pointed out that the sample size was very small but it's a great start. We have often wondered why humans get surgery for heart failure, but it's rarely, if ever, offered to dogs?
    This study was conducted as a part of human research. Not only was the number of dogs low (only 7 dogs, one of which was dead at the time of the treatment to its removed heart), but so was the time period for post-operative observation -- just six weeks.

It is nothing more than a possible start of another approach to treating MVD.
    --
    Rod Russell
    Last edited by RodRussell; 7th December 2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: correct placement of parenthetical