• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Prayers for my Bailey

kimy27

I am sick as I write this. I will never forgive myself for being so stupid. I gave Bailey 10 times the amount of metacam I should have. I didn't realise until hours later and rushed her to the emergency vet. She is showing no symptoms yet but could go into kidney failure anywhere from now until two weeks from now.

My poor baby, I don't think I could cope if anything happens to her. I am wracked with guilt. Please pray for her.

Fingers crossed for Bailey -- hopefully it will all flush through the system and she will be fine. :xfngr:

Unfortunately I did the same thing to kosmo when he went through his knee surgery. He suffered no adverse reactions and everything turned out fine. Good luck with your little one :flwr:

I'll be thinking of you. My gut feeling is that you would see a bad reaction by now if there was going to be one. I hope so anyway. Is she taking charcoal? I have nursed someone after a suicide attempt and Dylan when my son gave him the wrong pill and both had charcoal for 2-4 days.

Last edited:
I'll be thinking of you. My gut feeling is that you would see a bad reaction by now if there was going to be one. I hope so anyway. Is he taking charcoal? I have nursed someone after a suicide attempt and Dylan when my son gave him the wrong pill and both had charcoal for 2-4 days.

Yes. She has to stay at the emergency vet for 48 hours and they will pump her full of fluids/charcoal. I don't think I'll sleep a wink until I know she will be ok. The vet said nine times out of ten dogs are fine but I just feel awful. The fact that it was such a massive overdose and the fact we didn't realise until hours later just gives me a really bad feeling :cry*ing::(

Sorry I said he instead of she. It was really hard to give Dylan charcoal so it's better Bailey is at the vets. Get some sleep Kimy :hug: I'll say a prayer for you.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you & Kimy. Please keep us posted on her progress. I hope she will be just fine like Kosmo.

Praying that she is in the 9 out of 10 category. Don't beat yourself up too bad, you won't be of any comfort to her. Accidents happen. I'm just glad you caught it and knew what had happened so you could get her treatment. Do keep us posted...prayers going out loud and strong.

Last summer Madison got into some Advil and probably ate around 9-11 pills. Advil is an NSAID like Metacam. I didn't realize how sick she was until the next day when I took her to the vets for lethargy. Her lab values showed that she was in kidney failure. But after three days at the emergency hospital with IV fluids and medication, she pulled through fine. Wish I could say she learned her lesson, but she'd do it all over again if the opportunity presented itself. I learned my lesson though - never leave my purse unzipped on the floor when I go out. I kicked myself for such a stupid mistake - but it was a mistake and so many people on this board helped me get over my feelings of guilt. I hope Bailey pulls through without any problem like Madison and Kosmo did. As soon as you know she is safe and healthy you will be able to breathe easier. I hope you can sleep tonight.

These things can happen,especially if the metacam needs to be syringed.
Metacam is a very old product and one of the safer NSAIDs, I take it myself and it's marvellous for neck pain.It goes through the body within 48 hours and try not to worry too much.Chances are she'll make a full recovery and right now she's probably wondering what all the fuss is about.
Sins

Oh poor Bailey, my thoughts are with you and that is is one of the 9 out of 10. :xfngr: if he was going to have a bad reaction he would have had one now.

Thanks everyone. I called the vet and Bailey is still not showing any symptoms which is good. It's still early days though. I have to call again at lunch time and will be able to go up and see her later.

I still can't believe I did that. I am just so worried and feel so guilty. I haven't stopped crying since last night. I just pray there will be no kidney damage. I will never forgive myself if she dies.

Kimy I'm so sorry this has happened :hug:Bailey is in good hands now so please don't beat yourself up about it. It was an accident and we've all had them. When you see Bailey today, give her a kiss from all of us on here :lotsaluv:

OK now dont panic. The fluid iv will flush it out no probs.

I have a cat (now 17) that had serious renal failure at 7 and was not expected to live. 2 vets disagreed over treatment,The Boss saying it was too late to do anything for her, the other (new boy) insisting he could flush it out by giving iv fluids at 10x normal rate for 24 hours. I was warned it was likely to be a kill or cure method, but it worked. Shes upstairs curled up in her bed right now. Its not an ideal method, but try it if you have to.

Mistakes happen, dont beat youself up about it.
Much love, thinking of you and wishing you both well.

Lots of healing thoughts for little Bailey - her youth is on her side! We all make mistakes, so try to be kinder to yourself as your little ones need you to be strong :l*v:

Not much help to you now, but easiest way to administer metacam is to take the dog's weight in Kg., double it, and drip it on the food.
maintenance dose is: dog's weight in Kg x2.
eg I have an 8kg bitch here - a D-cup girl - who gets 16 drops on her dinner.
My 7kg girl gets 14 drops.
I always round off the dose to the nearest Kg, eg. 7.8 kg wil be dosed as 8kg.
7.3 kg will be dosed as 7kg.
7.5kg gets 15 drops. Extra drop for the extra half kg.
Hope Bailey maskes a good recovery. She might be a bit dopey for the next couple of days, but don't beat yourself up - we all make errors from time to time. Vets too!
Elspeth

Thinking of you and :xfngr: and everything else crossed that Bailey will be absolutely fine. Our little ones are very resiliant.

Once while we were away on holiday Cinders managed to get hold of my father in laws medication that was in his weekly pill box. She had a cocktail of heart, blood pressure, diabetic and pain killing medication and after a night at the vets on charcoal and fluids she came through absolutely fine.

Try not to beat yourself up too much - accidents happen to us all,:flwr:

I am sure Bailey willl be fine, the fluids will probably flush the Metacam out of the system. We are keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Back