• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question ?

Bet

I don't think any in the Cavalier World can now deny that the Heads of Many Cavaliers are Smaller than they used to be.

What I wonder ,is this an association between a Cause and Effect for SM

Would it be possible to establish that the Effect is really the Cause through Independant Research for the Relationship of SM?

If this could be proved about the SM Problem in our Cavalier Breed, then a step forward has been made.

That the Breeding of Smaller Skulls for Cavaliers is involved .

I don't think any in the Cavalier World can now deny that the Heads of Many Cavaliers are Smaller than they used to be.

What I wonder ,is this an association between a Cause and Effect for SM

Would it be possible to establish that the Effect is really the Cause through Independant Research for the Relationship of SM?

If this could be proved about the SM Problem in our Cavalier Breed, then a step forward has been made.

That the Breeding of Smaller Skulls for Cavaliers is involved .

Bet, do you know why 70 some people have read your post and NO ONE has responded? Do you know why? do you know why? do you know why?

It has been explained to you that there is a likely lack of communication somewhere between the brain and skull. IT has nothing to do with the size of the head. THERE are numerous breeds of dogs with much smaller, much rounder and/or much flatter skulls.
Why would breeders be breeding for SMALLER heads -- when this is a 'head breed'. A pin head would NOT be what a cavalier breeder is breeding for.

Question?

Sandy,

You ask why would Cavalier Breeders be Breeding for Smaller Heads.

My Answer ,because that is the Type of Cavalier Skull that has probably now more chance of Winning ing the Show Ring.!!

I would respectfully suggest to you that you Read The APGAW Report where it is mentioned ,that Cavaliers' Heads are too Small for their Brains.Not because their Brains are too Large .

Also Dr C Rusbridge's Veterinary Neurological Web Site.

Finally ,it was mentioned on the Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV Film made by Jemima Harrison,that Cavalier Brains were like getting a Size 10 foot into a Size 6 Shoe.

Last but not least ,I don't need any -body to reply to my Posts , just as long as I can give Cavalier Folk Food for Thought, and give them a Reason to think things out for them-selves, . ....

Im sorry maybe its me, if the brain is too big for the skull because the two sets of genes responsible for growth dont comunicate, therefore breeding dogs with smaller skulls is going to increase the problem. If its true that the show ring donates that dogs with smaller skull shape heads are more likely to win, its that data that needs to be changed so that we breed dogs with largers skulls. I still dont know if that would change anything, the two sets of genes wouldnt communicate still. Do dogs that dont have cm at all have genes that do communicate or is it just that the skull size and brain size correspond? Is it me or are we going round in circles???????????????

Brain and skull sizes

Persoanlly I dont try to understand the complex issues of genes and how they operate.

What I do promote is that owners of Cavaliers do all the health testing as requested and submit data for the scientists to work with ?

Give them the opportunity and they will help us.

As for the brain itself, Dr Skerritt last told me. That it, the brain is a marvellous organ and has the ability to adapt itself to whatever size the skull might be. It is flexible in the extreme and just gets on with it's purpose for being there.

Regards Mark.

Harleyfarley,

If you read my Post on this Thread No1,you will see what I am trying to get at.

Back