Thread: MVD Progression

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default MVD Progression

Hi all

As most of you know my Charlie has Mitral Valve Displasia and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of 'Cough' I should be looking out for?
    The reason I ask is that for the last few mornings he wakes up and spends a minute clearing his throat- like it sounds when you get to the end of a cold and there is stuff' to clear out from the back of the throat. He has also been suffering from extreme reverse sneezing over the last week or so- whenever he gets excited- Which is ALOT as he is a very excitable pup!!!

Am I panicing un-nessersarliy or is this what I have been dreading for the last few months and my boy is going in to heart failure.
    Would an Xray be the next logical step forward?

He will be one on Tuesday and I am going to atempt to cook a liver cake to celebrate!!

Thanks in Advance

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karen and Ruby View Post
    Hi all

As most of you know my Charlie has Mitral Valve Displasia and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of 'Cough' I should be looking out for?
    The reason I ask is that for the last few mornings he wakes up and spends a minute clearing his throat- like it sounds when you get to the end of a cold and there is stuff' to clear out from the back of the throat. He has also been suffering from extreme reverse sneezing over the last week or so- whenever he gets excited- Which is ALOT as he is a very excitable pup!!!

Am I panicing un-nessersarliy or is this what I have been dreading for the last few months and my boy is going in to heart failure.
    Would an Xray be the next logical step forward?

He will be one on Tuesday and I am going to atempt to cook a liver cake to celebrate!!

Thanks in Advance
    I would advise that any extra, or different, breathing or coughing activity in a dog with MVD should be checked out by the vet.
    The medications may need a little adjusting.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

How is Charlie, any news?
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday to Charlie!!!! Did he like the liver cake?
    Like Tania, I want to know how Charlie is? Did you take him to the cardiologist? Maybe he just had a cold. Please let us know.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanx he is doing ok. Its almost as though he has something stuck in his throat and its usually in the morning. Thanks bev he loved the cake as did ruby luckily i have a cold so could.nt smell it! Im going to book him in for xrays to check whether there is any fluid on his lungs my fingers are crossed that he has just caught my cold!

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like

Fingers crossed he just has a plain old cough. Glad he liked his liver cake...and that you couldn't smell it I know I couldn't have made one....blech!!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karen and Ruby View Post
    That throat clearing and reverse sneeze can also be causes by worms, which is what happened with my girl when she was very young. Two rounds of three days of panacur cleared it up.