• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

MVD Progression

Karen and Ruby

Hi all

As most of you know my Charlie has Mitral Valve Displasia and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of 'Cough' I should be looking out for?
The reason I ask is that for the last few mornings he wakes up and spends a minute clearing his throat- like it sounds when you get to the end of a cold and there is stuff' to clear out from the back of the throat. He has also been suffering from extreme reverse sneezing over the last week or so- whenever he gets excited- Which is ALOT as he is a very excitable pup!!!

Am I panicing un-nessersarliy or is this what I have been dreading for the last few months and my boy is going in to heart failure.
Would an Xray be the next logical step forward? icon_nwunsure

He will be one on Tuesday and I am going to atempt to cook a liver cake to celebrate!!

Thanks in Advance

Hi all

As most of you know my Charlie has Mitral Valve Displasia and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of 'Cough' I should be looking out for?
The reason I ask is that for the last few mornings he wakes up and spends a minute clearing his throat- like it sounds when you get to the end of a cold and there is stuff' to clear out from the back of the throat. He has also been suffering from extreme reverse sneezing over the last week or so- whenever he gets excited- Which is ALOT as he is a very excitable pup!!!

Am I panicing un-nessersarliy or is this what I have been dreading for the last few months and my boy is going in to heart failure.
Would an Xray be the next logical step forward? icon_nwunsure

He will be one on Tuesday and I am going to atempt to cook a liver cake to celebrate!!

Thanks in Advance

I would advise that any extra, or different, breathing or coughing activity in a dog with MVD should be checked out by the vet.
The medications may need a little adjusting.

Happy Birthday to Charlie!!!! :hppybdy: Did he like the liver cake?
Like Tania, I want to know how Charlie is? Did you take him to the cardiologist? Maybe he just had a cold. Please let us know.

Thanx he is doing ok. Its almost as though he has something stuck in his throat and its usually in the morning. Thanks bev he loved the cake as did ruby:) luckily i have a cold so could.nt smell it! Im going to book him in for xrays to check whether there is any fluid on his lungs my fingers are crossed that he has just caught my cold!

Fingers crossed he just has a plain old cough. Glad he liked his liver cake...and that you couldn't smell it ;) I know I couldn't have made one....blech!!! :)

That throat clearing and reverse sneeze can also be causes by worms, which is what happened with my girl when she was very young. Two rounds of three days of panacur cleared it up.

Back