• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lost my love to SM

Thanks. I had gotten a message from Sandy Smith saying it was to be aired on Wed but I realize she was mistaken. As I said, I have already viewed the entire documentary on line at wikipedia. Very hard to watch but very true to what I experienced with Olie. I just never let him get as bad as the dogs shown. I can't understand how their owners can let them suffer like that. We have to stop and say why are we keeping our beloved pets alive. Is if for them or for us? Dogs don't know what pain is or I should say they don't know that they shouldn't have it. they are stoic animals and go with the flow. We are their caretakers and we have to make the decision for them as they know no better. It is us who will hurt after the decision but our best friends will only feel peace. I have to believe that and believe Ollie has now been released from the terrible body that he was born with.

I think I'm right in saying that the Cavalier in PDE was not filmed specially for the programme - the video was made by its owners only a few hours before it was put to sleep - they wanted to publicise just how devastating SM can be, and the film was put on various websites. Unfortunately this was not made clear on the programme and there was a lot of criticism of the video.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi, I just got done watching the whole documentary on youtube. I was not going to be home tomorrow night so I found it there. It is shown in 6 different segments but it shown in it's entirety. On youtube just search for Pedigree dogs exposed. I cried through most of it as I have Riley my Sm cavalier curled up here in my lap. I hope many people will watch it and get educated.
Kloey, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how painful it must be.

We need to tell the stories of the Charlies and Ollies and make people understand that these are not isolated cases --but representative of what is happening to far too many in this wonderful breed.

Amen Phyllis!!! I know, for a fact, that there are far more Cavaliers out there with SM that aren't publicized. I would bet that anyone who knows 5 or more people with Cavaliers.....at least 1 of those people is or has been affected by SM. I have a huge circle of Cavalier friends and am regularly being told of yet another that has SM. Breaks my heart!!

I am so sorry for your loss Karen and so grateful that you are not content to sit by and do nothing. I support your efforts!

There are no words except to say I'm so sorry and my heart grieves for you and I truly understand what you went through. My princess had surgery in March.

I think the biggest debt is to the researchers who kept working on this issue and trying to understand it better even as some clubs apparently decided not to fund them because they don't like the message :sl*p: (one club breeder has recently posted to this effect on a public discussion list. Imagine trying to block funding to the people who have done so much to help identify and relieve this pain and suffering, and worked so hard to keep giving breeders some options other than to let the breed collapse).

It is really, really important that puppy buyers and pet owners join together and say 'enough'.

The strongest way to do this is to absolutely refuse to buy puppies from anyone who is not cardiologist testing and has not MRId any of their breeding dogs. The next strongest is to write the clubs and the national clubs, the Kennel CLub and AKC and IKC and other national groups, expressing your concern at the lack of any formal guidelines on or requirements for health testing for this breed, and to make health -- as expressed in cardiologist results and MRI scans -- part of determining 'conformation' awards for show dogs.

You can also financially support research -- even the smallest donation helps -- for example by contributing towards Margaret's ongoing scheme, or buying Sandy's book.

Donations towards Syringomyelia DNA Research can be made via Paypal. Entering the following email address at the PayPal site will bring up the 'SM DNA Fund' account: [email protected]. Donations can be made in several currencies using a credit card or PayPal funds.

If you have a cavalier that has been scanned, results can go to Sarah Blott. If it is over 5 and has a pedigree, a DNA donation is VERY VALUABLE for research -- email Penny at the above email address.

For a CHRISTMAS BOOK FOR KIDS that helps the DNA research:

http://www.sandjmilesbooks.com/iWeb/S and J Miles Books/Audrey's Tale.html

For a whole list of things YOU can do -- who to write, what to say, how to help fund research, see Carol's comprehensive information here:

http://www.cavaliercampaign.com/how-you-can-help.htm

I also strongly support any effort to get lower cost scanning schemes in place for breeders.

Hi everyone,
I had seen the cavalier who was featured on PDE long before I saw the documentary. It was on a web site that has videos of dogs in different stages and degree of discomfort from SM.
Yes it was hard to watch but I did not let Ollie get that bad and personally I don't know how any pet owner could. But, I do think there should be a follow up documentary by those responsible cavalier breeders who are doing all they can to make sure they have their dogs screened for eye, MVD and offer certification to byers onthe sire, damm and grand sire and grand dam as well as the ages of the relatives and their current health statis.
As for SM. Unless we can get low cost screening available in each state even a few times a year for breeders it will become harder and harder to get them to comply. And, we definitely need to have breeders who do the screening and are willing to agree to the neurologists recomendations and not try and find another neurologist to review the findings and come up with a different prognosis to NOT breed. Right now, the way it looks, most of the bitches and sires will be disqualified and the breeders will be out of business.
We need to take baby steps, acknowledge the responsible breeders efforts, look for those breeders when purchasing or knowing of someone looking to purchase a cavalkier and direct them to that breeder. And breeders are going to have to acknowledge the defects prevelent in cavaliers on their site, direct prospective buyers to a site with information regarding the illness and give a THREE year health guarantee against MVD and SM. I realize that most owners will not return the dog to the breeder after a few years but if you can prove the dog has been altered or spayed and show positive medical findings that your dog, their pup, has MVD or SM within those three years ,then the breeder should allow you to keep it and offer another puppy of equal value if you want. That would be a step towards weeding out the non ethical breeders and hopefully direct us to to those that have a real sincere interest in preserving the health of the Cavalier Breed. Lets not throw out the baby with the bath water,. Lets keep a list of all the truly reputable breeders who are out there. This site is a great one to list some of them and make sure you do your homework before purchasing a cavalier. There are no guarantees in life, with our health, the health of our children or our pets.
We have an obligation to do our research, hope for the best and be ready to accept a problem if it arises. But, we do have a responsibility to the breed to make sure that when the low cost MRI's become available.\, if they do, that breeders utilize the service as many are now doing with cardiologists and optomologists. Lets give credit where credit is due to the good breeders trying their best.
I plan to get another cavalier but I also plan to do my homework and hopefully give my next best friend and myself the best chance possible for a healthy and happy life.

Please let me know how Princess made out in her surgery. It's a long recovery and I can honestly say I know what you are going through. I'm not sure I agree with the long continuation of all the medication post surgery but we have to follow the surgeons advice. One thing I woud ask, two month post op, is if you could start to wean your dog off the meds one at a time and see how she responds. the less meds the better if Princess seems comfortable and you will know as she will demonstrate discomfort by her actions. Good luck. My heart goes out to you both

When you refer to princess I assume you are referring to me saying my princess had surgery in March. Actually her name is Abbey but she's my princess. I have done a blog and still update periodically--like every couple months. The first month or so is very hard to read and if you read it I'm sure it will bring back alot of pain for you. Abbey is still on meds. Gabapentin, priloesec, temaril and for now I wouldn't even try to take her off meds. The first part of the year I'm taking her back for her yearly eval and of course will go over it all with the neurologist. She's doing ok--still has symptoms but we truly believed they would never go away as she was 5 when she had the surgery and had had symptoms for years. Long story. My blog is at:

http://abbeygeorgelinda.blogspot.com/

Again, I am so sorry. These guys just plain don't deserve what they are getting and we should not be going through what we are going through with these dogs as such a young age.

I'm so sorry about calling her Princess instead of Abbey. I left a message on your blog which I just read. I was new to this site so I was not aware of it until you pointed it out to me. I wsh her health and you strength. It's what you both need. All anyone can do is just say I'm sorry as nobody can know what you are feeling as we all feel things differently. But, you have the right to grieve, cry, be angry for as long as you want or need. These are our children, no less and if someone doesn't understand this love than find people who do. This chat room is full of those of us who do understand.

Back