• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

winter wear?

TokyoKuri

All of the dogs that I grew up with (in New York) were the type to run through the snow all day or jump in the creek no matter what the weather, so I've never been a believer in clothes as a necessity for dogs... until my skinny, 3.5kg, puppy fuzz-covered Sophie came along. Now I'm shivering against the cold, damp wind blowing into my neighborhood off Tokyo bay and wondering if she's going to turn into a pup-cicle when we start going outside next week.

Do you dress your pup in warm clothes for winter walks? and if so, what do you use?

(confession: Tokyo is FILLED with shops selling nothing but tiny dog clothes - everything from cute costumes to cashmere sweaters and rhinestone studded pink dresses - so I'm worried that the dog-as-accessory-culture is influencing me:lpy:)

do7l6jA2usLyIl3BSaNQaQ
comfy.jpg

do7l6jA2usLyIl3BSaNQaQ

Last edited:
Oh dear, she certainly looks like she needs something to cover up that little tummy. I always used to put a coat on Chaos in the winter to keep her warm and dry, luckily she has now grown a very thick coat because she can't tolerate a coat now. The best type would be waterproof and with a nice warm lining. My new dog Armani has to wear clothes most of the time because she is a Chinese Crested and has no hair on her body. I got her a very nice coat which her legs slip into and then it has velcro along the back to do it up, so her tummy is covered too.

Leo has an assortment of sweaters, a raincoat, and a heavy coat to get him through the winter. I was always one of those people who believed dressing a dog up was silly, but I've now altered that slightly to believing that dressing up a dog in trashy clothes is silly. :cool:

One thing--if you want your pup to wear clothes with no problem, it's best to start early. Leo's clothes annoyed him a bit at first, but now he'll stay still when I put on his sweaters or coat for his walk around town, and I know he enjoys the attention he gets for them!

My blenheim Fern is also on the skinny side... even after spaying we can only just manage to get her weight to almost 6kg and she is now 2 and a half.

I got tired of jumpers that just didnt fit so started knitting my own... it also means i can make them in whatever colours i want.. .here are a few ...

IMG_3604.jpg

and her santa jumper :)

IMG_3620.jpg

She does also have a nice sheepskin coat for the really cold days.

I have a tiny cavalier too, she's 3.5kg (about 8lbs) and gets cold easy. She has a variety of sweaters and a thick fleece lined purple coat. I also have a dog snuggie that I will quickly throw on her if she needs to go out for a quick pee pee break!

I have a couple of sweaters for Sasha for those freezing cold days.

Devilica, your sweaters are stunning, and I like how they don't cover the whole belly (great for "doing business", they won't get soiled).

You should sell them! If you do, I'd buy one for sure ;)

My two both have thick coats so for ordinary walksthey don't wear anything because they keep moving - but I do take a towel with me to dry them off before they have to sit around waiting for buses. If they have to sit around in the cold, they both have quilted jackets - for example, when camping and the nights can be cold, or crated at an outdoor event. The jackets are known as their camping pyjamas!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Charlie just has a waterproof coat with wooly fur underneath, where i live in the UK it dosnt get that cold and Charlie dosnt seem to feel it very often anyway but we bought it for him just to make sure he dosnt get cold and for the rain and snow, it keeps the wet of him :)

We have warm waterproof jackets for Murphy and Misty. They normally only have them on if the weather is really bad, although they've both been clipped a little short so they may have them on a lot more this year.

Thats a really nice coat, I like it that you can detach the fleece, my boy has two danish design coats but with a fleece lining attached.

My Maverick will be 3 in March and still has a very thin coat so in the winter he always wears sweaters and coats. Most I make from fleece. He also wears boots (I think I may have turned him into a sissy) He has both ruffwear ones and cheap muttluk style. I love the ruffwear ones cause they have a hard sole.

All your cavaliers look lovely in their coats.

To be honest tho' a cavalier is actually a pretty hardy dog and can cope with most cold days; though if you live in sub-zero temperatures they may well appreciate a little more warmth. Mine never seem to have any problem rushing around in the snow and ice when we get it - Apart from the 'snowballs' that form all over their legs and feet.:D:D

Now if I could find some little Cavalier Wellingtons??????? That would be fantastic!!! No more muddy pawprints everywhere. (VVBG)

To be honest tho' a cavalier is actually a pretty hardy dog and can cope with most cold days; though if you live in sub-zero temperatures they may well appreciate a little more warmth. Mine never seem to have any problem rushing around in the snow and ice when we get it - Apart from the 'snowballs' that form all over their legs and feet.:D:D

I'm with you all the way here, I hate to see the dogs dressed up in dresses etc., I have seen photos of some cavaliers that look so miserable, it must be awful to be fastened into some of these costumes and unable to get out. These things are more fitting on dolls in my opinion. However, I am all for the weatherproof coats in very cold temperatures and think the dogs would appreciate these too.

I don`t like to see dogs dressed up in costumes either, I have always put a rain coat on Jasper as no matter how much I dried him when he got wet he would always wipe his body across the carpets, he is not so hairy as a lot of cavaliers, so now he is almost 10 next year, although he does not appear to have aches or pains with his joints, but does have heart problems I like to feel I am doing my best to pamper him and make life more comfortable now he is older.

Back