• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is it wrong to offer a prize for a health tested veteran cavalier?

Is it Wrong to Offer a Prize for a Health Tested Veteran Cavalier?

Just to say to the Others on the List,sorry I Blew a Gasket this Morning, you Folk have enough Worries with your Cavaliers suffering from SM and MVD,with-out having to read a Rant from Me !!

I will never allow my-self to be Baited again. .....No matter what is said to me.

Hope-fully at the End of the Day ,all the Cavalier Information and Cavalier Pedigrees that I have worked on, which was a Labour of Love, will go into the Cavalier Club Archives

This will probably sound really selfish but I couldn't imagine putting an asymptomatic non-breeding senior dog under anaesthetic for an MRI. I understand that it would be helpful for research but it is not risk free for the dog particularly an older dog. I am a basket case each time I have to have a dog put under and never do it without discussing the pros and cons of the procedure with the vet first.

I understand your position completely and agree. My daughter worked as a vet tech for over 7 years and things HAPPEN. The advantages have to be worth the risk. I've learned to scale teeth so I don't have to put my dogs under for teeth cleaning (at least not as often).

:updte:

Mark Marshall made an offer to donate £200 as a prize for a health tested veteran.

His criteria.........

"the dog/bitch must be a Veteran and have been MRI scanned, free of a syrinx and have no heart murmur.

I want this winning specimen to be an example to all of us !

Champions most welcome.

£200 guaranteed if more than six (6) dogs are judged and their certificates must prove that the dog was clear of MVD and SM aged 7 years or older."

The offer was eventually taken up and one breeder in particular spent a lot of time working out possible ways to make this work.

But, over the course of an interesting and illustrative discussion, the breeders have argued for a change of concept........ from that of a competitive class of cavaliers that have all clear health certificates and are true to type, to a parade of any veteran that has been health tested.

They argue it is not fair to pick out the ultra healthy for special notice although of course the nature of dog shows allows the ultra pretty to take the prizes.

Any one that health tests their cavaliers are to be congratulated and to have a dog fail will happen to all of us, but Mark's idea, I believe ( and I know he will soon make it known if I am wrong ) was to celebrate and make known these special dogs that are so important to the future of this breed.

It makes me wonder how many breeders are having their older dogs tested and how many are actually showing up as being clear of both SM & heart murmur?
If it is as few as their reaction to Mark's offer suggests, then that is something we should all be taking very seriously.

Back