• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Really sensitive tummy

Rua the 7 month old cav i have has a really bad tummy, i have had her at the vets several times and just basically say he has a cav tummy. I have him at the moment on Rc sencitivity dry mixed with a little of there wet food just to give it a bit of taste. If Rua happens to get at anything at all it goes straight through him and this could last for several days.
I have 2 more cavs who can absolutely eat anything with no effect so its hard to see poor Rua on a boring diet with no treats. So what im wondering will Rua grow out of this or will he always be like this, also i know its important to stick to a diet that works but is there anything nicer i could give him and is there any treats available that i could give him occasionaly

Rua the 7 month old cav i have has a really bad tummy, i have had her at the vets several times and just basically say he has a cav tummy.
I have him at the moment on Rc sencitivity dry mixed with a little of there wet food just to give it a bit of taste. If Rua happens to get at anything at all it goes straight through him and this could last for several days.
I have 2 more cavs who can absolutely eat anything with no effect so its hard to see poor Rua on a boring diet with no treats. So what im wondering will Rua grow out of this or will he always be like this, also i know its important to stick to a diet that works but is there anything nicer i could give him and is there any treats available that i could give him occasionaly

I have never heard of the expression "a cav tummy" and I have been breeding cavaliers for a long time now.

You don't say how long this situation has been going on, but, I would suggest to you, that the first thing you should do is to take a faecal sample(poo) and ask your vet to send it off for analysis. He will give you a sample bottle if you ask , but any small covered container will do to transport same to your vet. No need to be sterile.Vet nurse can transfer it to postal bottle.
There are quite a few clinical issues which might be causing your puppy to be loose, and these are best ruled out before you do anything else.

Good Luck
Elspeth Glen

My boy Jato cannot eat anything with chicken in it. You have to be careful, because even some treats that say Peanut Butter flavor have chicken in the ingredient list. I actually feed my dogs Salmon and Sweet Potato by California Natural. They both love it, and Jato has no more upset tummy issues. Good luck!

I've been told that cavaliers have a lot of allergies-- I had ONLY one that did if he ate one brand of food-- I switched him off of it and he has been fine ever since.
Puppies can have issues due to coccidia-- which is difficult to dx and it truly isn't curable as much as it is treatable.

At that age I would suspect parasites. Giardia can be hard to detect, coccidia can show in a few ways, but mucus is a main one, try to keep an eye out for that.

Canned pumpkin (make sure you get the kind where pumpkin is the only ingredient) also might help it's a fiber source and acts as a stool firmer, so it's a good first step for any intestinal problems. I've never known a dog who didn't enjoy the taste.

One of my Cavaliers is very prone to colitis and is currently on RC Sensitivity, and has been for quite some time. I have tried to wean her onto other foods but after a day or two I am welcomed with dodgy poo all over the kitchen in the morning and it tend to take a few days for it to clear up. I have tried quite a lot of other foods but with no joy. Initially, she was on only the RC and nothing else but over time we have been able to give her some treats and raw hide (just don't over do it!) like the others. The only difference between her and the rest of the dogs now is that at meal times she gets her food and they get theirs. If I drop a few bits of food on the floor when I am getting it ready and she eats them, this doesn't effect her at all. however, if she was to get an entire meal of it she would have problems. She eats the RC with no quibbles so I am sticking to it. It is low in fat and very gentle so I don't mind.

My lady cannot have grains, particularly wheat because she has a terrible reaction to it. Unfortunately, these things are a matter of trial and error. If you are anxious to get your dog onto a different food then please do it slowly and be prepared for dodgy belly syndrome! I asked my vet about keeping me Cavalier on the RC and he said there is no problem with that at all. Perhaps ask your vet about changing, they may want to keep you little guy on it to take down any inflammation or to give his belly a rest, so it's always best to ask. Also, if it continues, I would ask for a fecal sample (as Murphy said) to be taken to rule out any parasites or infection. Good luck!

At that age I would suspect parasites. Giardia can be hard to detect, coccidia can show in a few ways, but mucus is a main one, try to keep an eye out for that.

Canned pumpkin (make sure you get the kind where pumpkin is the only ingredient) also might help it's a fiber source and acts as a stool firmer, so it's a good first step for any intestinal problems. I've never known a dog who didn't enjoy the taste.

Never heard of mucus, well i have but silly ques what is that in dogs, heard before that pumkin is good but never seen it here in ireland, can it be got over here
sorry read it wrong first time, yeah sometimes there is mucus in her poo, if it is coccidia what does this mean

Coccidia lives in the large intestine, and aggravates the cells that line the gut there, this results in excess mucus secretion. Guinness was passing little clear mucus balls after a poo. As soon as I told my vet about the mucus he said "oh, it's coccidia".
Pumpkin is readily available over here, but I'm not sure where you'd look for it in Ireland. Maybe sweet potatoes could be used instead?

Back