• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A human with Chiari Malformation, SM & EDS wrote this in our blog

linderbelle

A person wrote this in our--Abbey's blog and I even had a post for months asking for this person to e-mail me as I would love to talk to her in detail. I finally took the post off as obviously she went to our blog just once and never came back. I have read her last paragraph many times with comfort.
-----------------------

I also have SM. Mine came with Chiari Malformation
(CM)and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome(EDS). I have had
successful brain and spinal cord surgeries to help
alleviate some of the awful symptoms.

If anyone wants to know what their dog with SM is
feeling, they can ask a human who has the same
condition. There are thousands of us with various
combinations of CM, SM, and EDS, and we have very
informative online support groups called Chiari
Connection International (CCI), Chiari-
Syrinomyelia Foundation (CSF), and American
Syringomyelia Alliance Project (ASAP).

We are indebted to the docs who are studying
Cavalier spaniels, because their discoveries help
humans, too. I encourage anyone with a dog who is
affected by SM or CM to contact the human groups
to share info.

Good luck with your sweet dog; I hope she can get
some relief that will enable her to enjoy a more
comfortable life. But please know -- even if she
looks very uncomfortable -- that she is happiest
being alive and with her family.

My close friends daughter (Rebecca) had cm. Rebecca had suffered severe headaches for years. Her brother was killed in a Motorcycle Accident about two years ago (aged 25). When they did the Post-mortem they discovered he had cm. It was then recommended Rebecca had a scan. Then of course she was diagnosed. On Friday she received the final all clear and was told they had removed something like three inches of skull. During the recovery period Rebecca was rushed into hospital about 4 times and had to have lumbar punctures. Now she is leading a normal life.

Sorry, I missed the point, The Surgeon commented the research and treatment on Dogs is more advanced than humans and he himself was quite interested in the cm condition in dogs.

Back