• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

One year on...Rupert

Nicki

Hard to believe but it's a year today since we lost our precious Rupert - the dog in my avatar, I haven't wanted to change it yet.

Here is the original post http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=28316

Well that dreadful raw pain has eased - but the sadness will always remain. We have learnt to live without him - something that once seemed impossible. He was such a huge part of our lives, our very first Cavalier - it's his fault that we fell in love with the breed.

He saw us through three house moves, the loss of FOUR Cavaliers, including his beloved companion {and ears after he went deaf} Fillipa. He was always with us - he was very demanding, insistent and determined - and had us extremely well trained :D But we adored him for it!!

He was also the most loving, handsome, happy boy you could meet, and everyone did indeed fall in love with him, he is missed by so many people.

After losing Cruz in August, we were not going to have another boy {we still have Teddy}, as it's difficult with having girls as well. However Tommy came into our lives and had some of the same "magic" as Rupert - we often think that Rupert had so much fun the first time around that he has come back to us again!!

Tommy does so many things that remind us of Rupert - he goes to sit where you want to sit, he always has his head in the cupboard when you open the door, he was in the shopping bags the other day, by the time I got to the kitchen he was sitting on the floor with a packet of custard creams , munching his way through them!!!

Later the same day, I had got out Rupert's old coat for Fufu to wear on a walk. I went to put it on Fufu, and Tommy came straight over and lay on it, as if to say, "that's mine". He's never done that with any other coats ...he isn't quite as mischievous though yet - thank goodness!!

So life goes on - I think we will always carry that sadness, but have many, many happy memories, and are slowly forgetting the last few days when he was so ill. Poor Fufu has been ill this week, with exactly the same condition, Pancreatitis - hard to deal with, but fortunately she seems to be coming through it.

I know many on the board will remember Rupert, that is perhaps his greatest legacy, all the Cavalier friends we have made...

Oh Nicki,
How did I not realise you had lost Cruz too?
It's been a very hard year for you and I remember last year's posts of course.
You've posted a lovely tribute to Rupert,every word tells just how special he was and how much he meant to you.
No doubt he'll always be remembered with affection and pride.
Sins

Nicki, I remember well your sad post this time last year.

I don't think I will ever forget Rupert, he stills looks out at me from my computer :) Thankyou.

Hugs to you and yours today.

Rupert was an amazing dog and I was privileged to meet him just the once.

It was a tribute to Rupert's strength of character and determination that just weeks before he left for rainbow bridge, he was chasing my cats up and down the stairs :). Cailean joined in with the evening of mischief. Nicki and I were so pleased to Rupert and Cailean meet up, as they were related ... and couldn't you tell! :)

Rupert, please have a lovely day and if you can, would you round up Cruz and everyone's bridge babes for a special game of chase. x

Rupert was such a special boy. Being your first Cavalier, that will never leave your heart. He was such a royal looking dog but his silly antics showed the mischevious pup he really was. I love that Tommy seems to be channeling some Rupert for you.

You are missed Rupert.

Thank you for all the lovely posts.

I couldn't look at Rupert's photo without welling up yesterday, but feel a bit better today - I'd organised a Christmas Party for our dog training club so had to go to that and it gave me something to focus upon.

Fran, I too was so thrilled that Cailean and Rupert got to meet - and share some of their puppy moments. Hard to believe that within just a few weeks they were both gone - and within days of each other :(

I'm sure they are all together waiting for us somewhere...

Hi Nicki

Best and sincerest wishes to you Nicki ,Rupert will live in your heart and be by your side forever.

brian :(

I'm glad Rupert sent Tommy along to keep you company. I still have a Christmas card with Rupert on it................ a beautiful little man!!!

A very special little dog, but then I may be a little biased as Rupert was sired by the dog that is in my avatar.
Rupert was one of a lovely litter by my Monty ( Ch. Mareve Indiana ) I went to see them when they were about 7 weeks old and they were beautiful puppies.

Many years later Nicki brought Rupert to see us when we spent Christmas in Norfolk. That must have been nine years ago because I had just bought Fonzi, my first Japanese Chin. My Tommy must have been a puppy too.

Rupert was obviously Monty's son in looks and he probably inherited his slight hint of mischief too. Very special dogs and we were priviledged to own them ( or did they own us ? )

It does not seem possible that it is a year since Rupert died. You and Trevor are in my thoughts.

Best wishes,

Hi Nicki

With kindest wishes to you ,from all I read your Rupert seems indeed your cavalier in a million he must have been some special boy

Thanks Nicki and Bestest Wishes
from Dawn ,Luke and I :):):)
and of course
The Flower Power Girls
:flwr::flwr::flwr::flwr:

Sorry Nicki,

Can't believe i missed this post, just wanted to say your in our thoughts :hug:

Back