Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Spaying a bitch with Syringomyelia.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork,Ireland.
    Posts
    2,563
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Spaying a bitch with Syringomyelia.

    Following Daisy's diagnosis,I am considering having her spayed.
    She's exactly three months since her last season and if I'm to do it,now is a good time and maybe she'll be recovered in time for Christmas.
    She was never intended to be a Mom anyway although I dread the thought of having her undergo a surgical procedure..even though I had planned to have her done next year.If I book her in on Saturday next would she be recovered for Christmas?
    Sins

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had my SM bitch spay 3 years ago.
    I told my vet to put in an IV- this would create a portal to the vein for any drugs she may need if she had an issues on the table. (I worried about her having a seizure on the table)
    I had my vet use human grade gas-- the same they give people. AND no drugs (pre-anesthesia) that cross the blood/brain barrier.
    My vet kept someone with her the entire time while in recovery. She was trying to stand less than 10 minutes out of surgery. By 30 minutes she was almost normal.

    It takes about a week before they look healed-- I'd say it takes over a month before everything inside has dissolved and is fit. I had a bitch take almost 8 weeks to heal because her body was rejecting the dissolvable stitches. She needed to be on special antibiotics because it made open sores etc... She wasn't in my care at the time

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Rickmansworth, Herts., UK
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had Chaos spayed when she was 2 1/2 years old when she already had symptoms of SM but I did not realise. My vet always keeps them in overnight so she was fine when I collected her. Was quiet for a few days and not allowed to jump around for a few weeks. I guess it would depend on what your plans are for Christmas whether to have it done before or wait until after. It would probably be good if you are able to spend more time with her.
    Judy

    Chaos B/T Cavalier girl (1.1.2004) Armani Chinese Crested girl (16.12.2002) Onyx Chinese Crested Boy (1.8.2009)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    24,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    I know some have had neurologists recommend a spay/neuter because it generally creates a calmer dog which helps with SM. Offhand, I don't know of any special recommendations from neurologists on any need for special procedures or precautions on a procedure like this.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Essex
    Posts
    911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Ruby was spayed before she was diagnosed with SM although i knew she wasnt 'right' by this time.
    She recovered at the rate that I thought but she has recovered slowly everytime she has needed to be sedated or anaethetised. It knocks her for six and she isnt right until well in to the next day.

    I must say if I had known about the SM it may well have changed my opinions on whether to spay or not.
    I have the desision of whether to get Charlie Neutered or not still on my mind as his heart is very weak. He needs to put on some weight before then anyway.

    I would agree with Sandy though and discuss your concerns with the vet and see where it goes from there.

    I did notice on CC about having difficulties with grooming an SM dog after spaying and I have to say that grooming isnt difficult at all.
    I made a desison to clip behind Rubys ears (the very fine fluffy hair) once every 2 months and the 5 minutes of clipping erradiacates daily uncomfortable brushing for her and you cant even tell the difference. I have it down to a fine art!!!

    Karen

    Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My vet wants to consult with Riley's neurologist before she has any procedure requiring anesthesia. Just covering all bases, but she wants to be sure that whatever she uses will be something Riley can tolerate. Do you have a neurologist for Daisy yet? If so, you might ask him/her their professional opinion about types and dosages of anesthesia to use and this might help you to put your mind at ease. i think she should be pretty well recovered in a week's time, but I don't think she will have had her stitches out yet (may be wrong on that though) and you will probably still have to restrict her activity some.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •