Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ACKCSC Finally Recognizes MVD As A Health Problem in Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Sandy - Oreo is talking about the misleading SM information (article) stating the "condition is known to affect less than 0.002% of Cavaliers......." not the health survey.

I did the same thing as Oreo when I read the 0.002% figure on the ACKCSC site - I had always heard the quoted figure from the ACKCSC health survey of 4%. The 4% figure is calculated looking at pages 78 and 79 of the report:

There were 566 Cavaliers in the survey, and owners self reported that 48 (8.5%) were "suspected of having SM." Of those 48, 23 were diagnosed by a veterinarian as having SM, which equals 4% of the total sample population. Page 79 shows additional info on the 23 Cavaliers such as symptoms, age at diagnosis, confirmed by MRI or symptoms only, surgery performed or not, etc.

It was definitely not a math major who wrote the SM summary on the website - to put this in perspective:

0.002% of 1,000,000 dogs is only 20 dogs
    4% of 1,000,000 dogs is 40,000 dogs

I think this isn't even a math error but a total fabrication. There is no other explanation unless the author doesn't understand about the use of decimal points with a percentage sign and was attempting to give a figure of 2%. When you see these kinds of errors on a website, it makes you question the validity of everything else on the site!

Frankly, I never gave much credence to the health survey anyway as it was such a small sample and all info was self-reported by owners - not particularly valid or scientific.

Ah well, business as usual............

Pat
    I filled out my survey with 100% honesty. I don't know if it was intentional. I know a lot of people that don't understand much about percentages. I had one person write that she owed me .50cents-- she meant .50 dollars or 50 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default ACKCSC Finally Recognizes MVD As a Health Problem in Cavaliers.

Since this Thread has strayed onto SM, could I mention I have just read the Complaint from the UK CKCS CLUB against the Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV Film, which was not upheld by Ofcom ,it's well worth a read , .

The subject of the number of Cavaliers suffering from SM is mentioned.
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    ... I was asking how to get the misleading article taken off the ACKCSC site - the one that seems to have pulled a number out of thin air to say that SM is known to affect less than .002% of Cavaliers.

...Do you know of a source for that number?
    I think I have found the source. Notice that at the bottom of the ACKCSC's SM page -- http://www.ackcsc.org/health/sm.html -- it credits "Anne Marie Rassmussen, SM in Dogs: Implications for the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel-permission granted".

Well, if you go to her website, you will find an article on SM, titled "Syringohydromyelia in Dogs: Implications for the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel", with a copyright date of 2000, which includes the following statement:

"This particular condition is known to affect less than 0.002% of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels so odds are very much in your favour that your dog would not have this condition. If your dog is scratching or displaying some of the other symptoms more than likely it is due to another cause such as allergies which is a common condition in dogs. If concerned see a veterinarian for evaluation."

See http://www.rhiannon-cavaliers.com/sy...ydromyelia.htm

So, apparently Anne Marie is the source. Where she got the percentage is anybody's guess, but if it really dates back to 2000, who then knew anything about percentages in the CKCS?

What all of this tells us about ACKCSC, however, is that it either doesn't have a clue about SM's current research, or it wants to mislead the viewer. It does not even list Dr. Rusbridge as a source for any of the SM information on that page. I do not know how anyone can intelligently discuss SM today and not at least attribute some information to her.
    --
    Rod Russell
    Last edited by RodRussell; 16th December 2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added website url

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is a shame the "parent club" has so little concern for the breed's health and welfare that they can't be bothered with making correct information available for either MVD or SM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Ackcsc finally recognizes mvd as health problem in cavaliers

Rod,

Just maybe it's those who bury their Heads in the Sand about the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed ,who are harming Cavaliers.

The Cavalier Folk who know that the Cavalier Breed is Afflicted with the TWO most Serious Health Problems of SM and MVD, WILL believe what is being told to them by the Researches, they are the only ones who know what they are talking about.

Some of us who quote what Researches say, are being Sneered at, but so be it, the Researchers are the only Folk who know what they are finding out about the Cavalier Health Problems.

2009 , has been such a beneficial year for the Cavalier Breed , thanks to Jemima Harrison and her Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV FILM being shown in different Countries as a result,the Report from APGAW, Professor Sir P Bateson's Report due out next month, and last but not least, Prospective Cavalier Buyers , because of the PDE TV FILM, been made aware to ask for a Health Certificate from the Cavalier Breeder ,to show that they have Health Tested their Cavalier Breeding Stock,.

Would members of the Public have known about SM and MVD in the Cavalier Breed without the information from the PDE TV FILM, .?

I Don't Think So.!!

I will say again ,how much , we who love and have loved our Cherished Cavaliers, have to Thank, Margaret, Carol , Karlin, and Jemima for.
    Bet (Hargreaves)