Thread: Really cold weather and a puppy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Really cold weather and a puppy

Hi!

Finally winter came to this part of the world and I have couple questions.

Lately we had really cold weather, from -20 till -25 and probably, this kind of weather is going to stay until March or so. Minni doesn't seem to mind if she is walked near she house, she just does her business and we go indoors. But I was thinking that we need to do longer walks with her but I am not sure how puppies are taking such temperatures. She is turning 4 months next week and her fur is not really thick yet (you can see it from the puppy gallery). Should we walk her in winter costume and special dog shoes or can she take it without clothes and without catching cold?

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A puppy definitely needs a coat or sweater at that age -- they are too small to maintain body heat (even for adults, cavaliers only have a single coat -- double coats are what keep dogs warm -- and are not really a cold weather breed -- I'd have a coat on an adult for weather lower than freezing. Remember they come from a moderate climate, not a cold climate). Also pups only need 10 minute walks or so when that young -- shouldn't be taken on long walks til older.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Karlin! Then it is probably time for me to renew my knitting skills

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be taking a puppy out in -20 other than being carried. I've only experinced -11 in Prague and though I wasn't cold because there's no wind and it's not damp like it is here, my feet froze.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

It was -9 this morning and I put coats on all three dogs when we went for our morning walk. Mindy (my senior girl) is the only one who seems to be at all bothered by the cold. Rylie (6 months) kept himself warm by running and jumping trying to catch all the snowflakes. Max and Riley absolutely LOVE this weather. I don't put coats on them if they are going out in the yard - my reasoning being that they can come inside whenever they want. I don't think we'd be spending too much time outside on the -20 days though.
    Mindy Tri - Feb/97
    Max - Ruby - Sep/08
    Rylie - B&T - June/09