• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Really cold weather and a puppy

pikkupupu

Hi!

Finally winter came to this part of the world and I have couple questions.

Lately we had really cold weather, from -20 till -25 and probably, this kind of weather is going to stay until March or so. Minni doesn't seem to mind if she is walked near she house, she just does her business and we go indoors. But I was thinking that we need to do longer walks with her but I am not sure how puppies are taking such temperatures. She is turning 4 months next week and her fur is not really thick yet (you can see it from the puppy gallery). Should we walk her in winter costume and special dog shoes or can she take it without clothes and without catching cold?

Thank you in advance.

A puppy definitely needs a coat or sweater at that age -- they are too small to maintain body heat (even for adults, cavaliers only have a single coat -- double coats are what keep dogs warm -- and are not really a cold weather breed -- I'd have a coat on an adult for weather lower than freezing. Remember they come from a moderate climate, not a cold climate). Also pups only need 10 minute walks or so when that young -- shouldn't be taken on long walks til older. :)

I wouldn't be taking a puppy out in -20 other than being carried. I've only experinced -11 in Prague and though I wasn't cold because there's no wind and it's not damp like it is here, my feet froze.

It was -9 this morning and I put coats on all three dogs when we went for our morning walk. Mindy (my senior girl) is the only one who seems to be at all bothered by the cold. Rylie (6 months) kept himself warm by running and jumping trying to catch all the snowflakes. Max and Riley absolutely LOVE this weather. I don't put coats on them if they are going out in the yard - my reasoning being that they can come inside whenever they want. I don't think we'd be spending too much time outside on the -20 days though.

Back