Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Juvenile Renal Dysplasia {previously Suppressed immune system}

Post Thanks / Like

Janice I am so sorry you and your family are going through this with Reuben. I can't imagine what you are all going through. We are all thinking of you.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear that, poor little guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Can you get the exact numbers for his creatinine, phosphorus and BUN? Those are the kidney values. Pat
    The only figures I have Pat, are

Creatinine: 447
    Phosphorus: 3
    Urea: 46

hope that makes sense, the vet said these are very high for one so young.
    Last edited by Janice; 18th December 2009 at 12:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Janice I'm so very very sorry to hear this, what a dreadful shock for you

I know how these guys worm their way into your heart and lives, he is obviously very much loved and I know you and your vets will do everything you can for him.

Please keep us posted - try to take on board as much information as you can, I know it is very hard at this time.

Thinking of you and sending our love.

Bless you Pat for all your help and support - we are truly honoured to have you on the board.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Janice,

I pm'd you before I read this. Im so sorry,
    please keep us informed....we've got everything crossed for Reuben.
    If you want to chat pm me and send you my phone number.

Mel and Leo XX

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to read about poor little Rueben. I really hope everything goes well for him over the next few days.

Pat, every time I read one of your posts I am in admiration of your extensive knowledge. We are lucky to have your contributions to the board.

Post Thanks / Like

Pat, every time I read one of your posts I am in admiration of your extensive knowledge. We are lucky to have your contributions to the board.
    So true! Janice, I am so sorry to hear it sounds like something more serious is going on with Reuben. Please keep us posted and know you are in my thoughts.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T View Post
    She was doing an odd mouth movement and took her to the vet (I went with her).

What sort of odd mouth movement? I was wondering what the signs are!
    She was kind of "working" her bottom jaw in and out. My first thought was definitely something oral but her teeth looked good. That's when the vet found the ulcers.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Latest update:

The scan of his kidneys showed them to be weird. Not of the normal structure.

They have either been damaged for a long time, or, have never developed properly.

Either way... sounds pretty poor from my point of view.

more bloods taken tomorrow to see if the levels are going down.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope tomorrow brings better news

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

ALB 27. - 38. g/L
    ALKP 23. - 212. U/L
    ALT 10 - 100 U/L
    AMYL 500 - 1500 U/L
    UREA (BUN) 2.5 - 9.6 mmol/L
    CA 1.98 - 3.00 mmol/L
    CHOL 2.8 - 8.3 mmol/L
    CREA 44 - 159 umol/L
    GLOB 25 - 45 g/L
    GLU 4.3 - 7.0 mmol/L
    PHOS .81 - 2.2 mmol/L
    TP 52. - 82. g/L

I logged into the k9kidneygroup and did a search for normal UK lab values since I don't know the normals. (I'm just so accustomed to dealing with US lab figures.) There are some UK members in that group, and I found the above normals. Let's save these in case we need them for other topics - and any of you UK'ers can check to see if these figures are the correct normals.

Janice, see if you can get copies of the lab reports to check if the above figures are normal values and see if other values are low or high. Indeed, Reuben's kidney values that you quoted are high, although phosphorus isn't too bad. What you describe from the ultrasound is what one would expect with JRD.

Now what we hope for is to see those numbers go down in light of the IV flush so do let us know the new figures when you get them.

Realistically, it is a serious situation. I have had one Cavalier respond well to the fluid flush and he went on to become well compensated with our routine of diet, meds and fluids but another that I had unfortunately did not respond well. But I always have hope and try rather than just giving up without a fight - you don't know until you try and you want to know that you did what you could. So just take one step at a time and know that there are a lot of people who are praying for you and Reuben and sending positive thoughts.

Young dogs with JRD can often become stabilized and live a decent quality life for a few years although they almost never live a full lifespan. Others don't respond well. It's very good that you have a diagnosis and are getting the right treatment, so we'll keep hoping for a good response to treatment.

Be sure to take care of yourself too and get some rest.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA