Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Juvenile Renal Dysplasia {previously Suppressed immune system}

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for doing that Pat - I have put them in a sticky at the top of this section.

If anyone is very interested in results, medications, treatments etc, there is an excellent book available from Amazon,

Blackwell's Five-minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline by Larry P. Tilley and Francis W. K. Smith Jr.

Janice, our thoughts are with you and your family, and of course with Reuben, we hope that he can pull through this and enjoy a long and happy life with you.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all, I will keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are a couple research articles that have concluded that Cavaliers may be predisposed to eosinophilic syndromes.

CavalierHealth.org does not have an article on them because they reportedly are very rare. But that also was the case for other disorders for which there now are articles, such as masticatory muscle myositis, because more incidents of MMM have been reported. Contrary to frequent accusations by some breeders, CavalierHealth.org does not have an article on every known canine disease.

I keep a list of articles on eosinophilic syndromes, for when the time comes to expand on the topic. I have been keeping the ones Pat B. listed. The most recent article I have on my list is:

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...3852&O=Generic or http://tinyurl.com/yf2qb4n for short. It is "Eosinophilic Diseases of Dogs", presented at the 2008 World Small Animal Veterinary Assn.
    --
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have not found allopathic veterinarians to be particularly effective at combating immune deficiencies. We had a Cavalier with a serious immune deficiency problem, and we turned to holistic treatments which completely turned him around.

The vet we used is Lynn Peck of Gainesville, Florida, website http://www.allholisticvet.com I suggest calling her and asking her to recommend holistic vets in your area.
    --
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Im not sure if the main thing now is immune system or the kidney probs,.

sounds like it's the kidney probs to me that are the most serious.
    he is anaemic too so they are getting his red blood cells up.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.bahnm.org.uk/Vetsurgeonslist.pdf
    Janice, if it helps here is a list of holistic Vets in UK.

Keeping Reuben and yo in my thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Thanks guys.

Im not sure if the main thing now is immune system or the kidney probs,.

sounds like it's the kidney probs to me that are the most serious.
    he is anaemic too so they are getting his red blood cells up.
    Very likely, the kidney problems are symptoms of an impaired immune system. Our Cavalier's immune problems were displayed by liver problems. The immune system doesn't have a single organ of its own. It affects every part of the body.
    --
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Kidney failure often causes stomach and mouth ulcers - this is the reason that sucralfate (carafate) is one of the drugs used for supportive care. (By the way, if this drug is given, it is given separate from any other medication and any food - the drug coats the stomach and interferes with the absorption of meds. Carafate is given two hours before or after any food or meds. I used to have a chart on the refrigerator that listed all meds and I'd check off each item every day and note the time given so I could keep on track. This was for a dog with heart failure and kidney failure and there were many boxes to check off each day.)
    Carafate is given to prevent these stomach and mouth ulcers.

My guess is that Reuban does NOT have an eosinophilic disease but that the mouth ulcers are a result of his JRD. (We should probably change the title of this thread to Juvenile Renal Dysplasia.) Also, from what I've read thus far, this is a pretty good vet who seems to be on the right track.

Janice, I forgot to say that you should let your breeder know what is going on as this is a congenital defect that was present at birth. (Sorry for the redundancy.) The breeder would not have known about this but he/she would want to be vigilant about other pups from these parents. I have no idea if there is a genetic component in Cavaliers - I do know that there IS an inherited component in some breeds, notably shih tzu and lhasa apsos. There is apparently now a genetic test for these breeds. Below is a good article that tells about the genes involved but also gives a good overview of JRD symptoms, stages, etc.

http://www.shihtzu.org/Articles/arti...&menu=Articles

When googling further, I see that now the Miniature Schnauzer club in the US is investigating whether there is a genetic component in JRD in their breed.

You and Reuban continue to be in my thoughts and prayers,

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, Rod, I disagree with you. JRD would not be caused by an impaired immune system - it is a very specific congenital anomaly - a birth defect - likely with a genetic component. Now there certainly could be an immune component in chronic renal failure, but that is a different disease - although the symptoms are the same.

On the other hand, I learned from the kidneydiet group that there are many "holistic" treatments that are very useful. Probably the most significant is omega 3 fish oils - there are allopathic studies that show that these do reduce creatinine. CoQ-10 and vitamin E are also helpful. Some people (and I have also) use TCM - I would only do this under a licensed TCM veterinarian. I also have a licensed/certified acupuncture vet (same person as my TCM vet) and some have found positive results with acupuncture.

Still, for me and for most that I know, the key to keeping kidney failure compensated is the daily subq fluids given. Once I "got the hang of it" this took me about 5-10 minutes each day, and my Cavalier slept through the process so it was not traumatic for him. I once calculated that he'd had over 1,000 needle sticks but he never had any skin or tissue problems as a result. (I used a particular very small and thin walled needle that I purchased online from Brico Medical Supplies.) Also - anyone using fluids in the US should know that you can buy them at Walmart for $2 a bag versus the $10-20 per bag that most vets charge.

I learned SO much from that wonderful group that it's my mission to "pay it forward" and share that knowledge with others. There are so many dog and cat owners that deal with kidney failure as it is so common, and there are many things that can be done to help.

Nicki - that is an excellent text. I've got a pretty extensive vet text home library and having those resources has made a world of difference for me. I've purchased most of the books from Amazon.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Pat.

Having read the article about JRD its sounds exactly like Reuben.

I may print it out and diplomatically ask the vet if she wonders if it might be this!