• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Juvenile Renal Dysplasia {previously Suppressed immune system}

I am just reading this. I have got no advice but my thought are with you and Reuben and I just hope what ever he has got is treatable and that he will be ok.

He is coming home today. ... with lots of meds and diet.

But his kidneys are SO small and underdeveloped they just cant deal with things.

Prognosis is weeks, months or maybe a couple of years.

He could get worse quickly and if so they suggest euthanasia. We all agree here as we really dont want our reuben ill or in pain. Apparently the kidneys are not telling the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells so he is still anaemic. Lots of different things all from the undeveloped kidneys.

Looking forward to a nice xmas at home with him at least... loads of extra cuddles!!!

Dear Janice - very pleased that Reuben is coming home - I hope he is safely back with you now.

So very sorry to hear this news though :(:( Bless you, you are being very brave - it's so hard with such a youngster.

I'm sure your vet wil have told you this but try to keep him away from high risk areas - such as parks where there are lots of other dogs, training classes etc. He will be more prone to infections etc.

It sounds like you have been given a special diet for him anyway, and no doubt know to avoid extra treats.

We're all thinking of you and hoping that Reuben will be with you for a long time yet - he is lucky to be with such a wonderful, caring family.

Enjoy every day, and treasure him for the time you have left. :lotsaluv:

Janice,

Give that boy a cuddle from me. You are so brave and sensible the way you are coping with this and putting Reuben first all the time.
None of us know how long we've got with loved ones whether it's canine or human. Ive experienced some quite heart wrenching things in the 25years ive been nursing and Im a firm believer in living each day to the full.

Reuben is a lucky little lad to have you as his family and I have everything crossed that you have years together left to go.

Mel

Bumping this to the top.

I just wrote a reply to the thread about the puppy with "stage 2 kidney disease" and I lost it! Errrgggg. Going into a meeting now and will rewrite later.

But look in this thread for info and links about juvenile renal dysplasia. Ignore the stuff about autoimmune disease.

Pat

Back