Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reuben's kidneys

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am so, so sorry Janice -- this is just heart-breaking to read. You truly tried everything you could to give him his best chance and it must have been terribly distressing to have to make the hardest decision, as you did, in such circumstances.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I too, am so very sorry about your loss janice. You must be heartbroken.
    Christine
    Spangle born 24/11/07 (Blen)
    Poppy (Blen)who went to Rainbow Bridge aged 13 and a half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    I am so, so sorry Janice -- this is just heart-breaking to read. You truly tried everything you could to give him his best chance and it must have been terribly distressing to have to make the hardest decision, as you did, in such circumstances.

would it be a bad idea to get another from the same breeder at a later date?

this is apparently not a thing that comes out often, and his temperament was wonderful.

I guess I should steer clear?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry Janice. Honestly, you did the right thing by Reuben. The cards were just not in his favor from the start but you absolutely did everything you could for him. Know that he is at peace and take some time to grieve yourself, but remember you did the best for him.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure who bred Reuben, Janice {obviously please don't post the breeder's name on the board}.

When you are feeling a bit better, please let them know what has happened - they should definitely not repeat the mating and should be aware that this condition has appeared in a puppy they have bred.

If they are doing all the health testing - MRI scanning, hearts annually {cardiologist, not just their vet},and eyes annually {opthamologist}; possibly also patellas {which is done by their normal vet} - and some breeders do also hip score; and you are happy with their set up, and the way they sell their puppies ie with a contract, lifetime support etc; then you could go back to them.

Did you contact them when Reuben was ill? Were they supportive? Even if they don't know anything about a condition, they should be prepared to do some research and support you in any way they can.

So it's hard for us to judge without knowing all the facts...

Most Cavaliers have wonderful temperaments, that is why we love them so much!!!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Nicki, If a puppy has all those tests, doesn't that mean they are WAY more expensive than the average price of about 500-600?

I have written them a letter telling them that I am not complaining but just informing them.

I have also added an article on JRD which explains about the genetics of it in case they have never heard of it before.

I think I may give them a miss though as I would hate for it to happen again.

Like you said, they are a generally wonderful breed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not way more expensive but a bit more expensive...generally around 750, depending on where you are in the UK. However if you look at that over the hopeful life of a Cavalier, life expectancy approx 10 years, that's 75 a year. Buying a cheap puppy from untested parents may mean huge vet bills - so it is not a saving in the long run.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for...

Health testing doesn't GUARANTEE a healthy lifetime for your puppy, but is the best that breeders can do with the current available information. At least you know that the breeder is trying to do their best - and you are encouraging breeders to health test.

By buying from a breeder who doesn't health test, there is no market pressure on them to do so...and market forces are the best way {in the absence of legislation} we can ensure they health test.

Laura Lang has a brilliant page on her website about this very subject - the last bit is a bit upsetting especially in light of your recent loss.

Scroll down to Dear Puppy Buyer

http://www.roycroftinformationcenter...on%20Page.html

Margaret Carter {Margaret C on the board} keeps a list of breeders who health test - also you can contact the national breed club puppy register, Carole Butler, telephone 01285 770651

You can obtain details of regional contacts from the parent club website, under puppy register http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html

Hope that helps you in your search, and we truly wish you a much Happier 2010.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Janis....
    Im just reading this now as I havent been on the board over xmas as much.
    I am so sorry.

Ive pm'd you XXX

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

Janice, my thoughts are with your family.

I'm so sorry that you lost your special lil' boy x

Post Thanks / Like

Janice I am so sorry you have lost your lovely little boy. He was lucky to have you to love and cherish him. My thoughts are with you.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim