• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Reuben's kidneys

Janice

He is home now and on lots of meds and a special kidney diet.
He has picked up no end, and his breath no longer smells.
I go back to the vet tomorrow but have just noticed a large lump (almost egg sized) on hte back of his neck. it is soft and doesnt worry him if i press it.

im hoping it is maybe a reaction to an antibiotic injection as it is in the right place at the scruff of the neck.

Can’t give any advice on the lump but I am so glad Reuben is home with you and improving.
Give him lots of cuddles.

Just reading this now. Glad Reuben has picked up no end. Let us know how you get on with the lump.

Mel

Im afraid he took a turn for the worse on Xmas day. :(

he didnt eat all xmas eve. Or all xmas day... he is just skin over bones at the moment.

the lump was apparently a reaction to all the antibiotic injections he had throughout his vets stay.

Yesterday it grew and grew and was the size of a quarter of a rugby ball,

he just laid in one place all day and didnt move, even with the smell of turkey and guests walking about.

this morning the lump has burst......clear and sticky, but not yellow or smelly. still not eating.

Im wondering if maybe having that caused him to stop eating his special diet,, and maybe once it has gone he might start eating again.

Just waiting for the vet to call us back. Fingers crossed.

Last night we were definitely thinking about euthaenasia.. but this morning there is a glimmer.

janice

Oh dear Janice, I am so sorry to hear this news. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that Reuben picks up.:hug::hug:

We're all thinking of you Janice - hope the vet has called back and that things are a bit better.

Vet is very busy doing emergency surgery so will phone when she can.

The lump seems to have almost lost all its innards now, last bit is yellow and and bloody. I dont want to give him a bath as he shivers so much anyway, but the clear stuff sticks like raw eggwhite. :(

He is walking about more today, and seems quite interested in what is going on up on the worktops, but still wont eat his kidney diet. Im sure he would eat other stuff, but I cant give him stuff like that :(

Do you know what his kidney values are now? What you describe is very typical - many dogs in kidney failure won't eat the prescription kidney food - it's not very palatable. That is why the yahoo k9kidneydiet group started - many people have had success with home prepared kidney diets. At this point, it's important that he eats. Here are some lower phosphorus items that you can offer:

Green tripe

Vanilla wafers (these are human cookies) - (my CRF Cavalier lived on vanilla wafers for about ten days once - this is a low phosphorus item that they will often eat, esp. because it seems like a treat and is sweet)

Egg whites - very good source of high quality protein, very low phosphorus - I just put them in the microwave and poached them. Egg yolk is very high in phosphorus so just feed the whites

Meat baby food - can't feed long term but can use for a dog who is not eating at all

Boiled chicken thigh mixed with farina or cream of wheat. (White rice is a high phosphorus grain, most of us use glutinous rice, similar to sushi rice - it is sticky) Chicken thigh is lower in phosphorus than chicken breast and is higher in fat so not good for any dog prone to pancreatitis but good for kidney failure dog who can tolerate fats.

Do you have phosphorus binder which is given right after a meal? This helps the phosphorus move through the intestines without the kidneys having to remove this waste. Binders are either aluminum hydoxide or calcium carbonate (not as strong as the alum hydroxide).

If you home feed, you will have to add calcium to balance the meals - but you don't have to learn about that right away. Right now it's just important that he eats.

Have you talked to the vet about giving daily subq fluids at home? As I mentioned before, this for many has been the key to giving a good quality life and extending length of life considerably (years).

Is he taking antibiotics now? Those can cause loss of appetite in addition to the kidney failure (uremia/azotemia) causing loss of appetite. What are all the meds he is taking?

I wish I lived near you and could help you. Some good links:

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html#diet

Recipes on homemade diets for renal problems can be found at this link:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/kidney-diet/

Here is link to the K9Kidney Yahoo Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KidneyDiet/

Thinking of you,

Pat

Thanks for the update Janice - it's great that Reuben is more interested in things, I'm sure his appetite will return now he's feeling a bit better.

If the kidney diet is a dry food, maybe try adding some hot water to it to make it smell and that might make him more interested. If it's a wet food, you could just put some in a bowl and stand it in boiling water to heat it to blood temperature.

Sounds like someone is having a rotten Christmas too :( Hope your vet can get back to you soon.

Perhaps you can just sponge Reuben down - even with dampened baby wipes and then blow dry him, rather than a full bath?

We took him to the vet as she wanted to drain the huge abscess. as she shaved him it was pouring out for about 10 mins.

she wanted to keep him in overnight, she managed to get the results early of the xmas eve blood tests.

After all the flushing, and all the tablets and the diet... the levels in his blood are HIGHER than to start with.

We made the decision that as he was under light sedation for the abscess cleaning........they would put him to sleep.

Was done about 10 mins ago.

I am distraught, he was my special boy, my darling and my pride and joy.

My husband is crying hard... he is a big tough guy who has always had big dogs and never cried as much as for Reuben.

My boys are locked in their rooms.

He will be waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge till I arrive.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We love you darling, Reuben.

Oh Janice, I'm so sorry that you had to make such a painful decision - sending you and your family lots of :hug:

Janice we are so very sorry - it's tragic to lose one so young. He was such a special wee dog, and brought you much love and joy whilst he was here. He knew only love, and in time that will be a comfort.

You did everything you could for him.

Please give yourselves time to grieve, Cavaliers quickly become a member of the family and it is a huge loss, especially hard with one so young.

Take care of yourselves.

Oh Janice, I'm so sorry.

Poor little puppy, he was so very young. Thank goodness he was with a family that cared for him so much.

You are in my thoughts.

There wasn't much else you could have done under the circumstances.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Sins

Oh I just read your email through my tears. I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through now. You did all you could for your little angel Reuben. You will be in our prayers. :hug:

Thinking of you at this sad time. Little Reuben was a very special boy who will be sadly missed by all. Run free little one.

Oh Janice I can barely write this through my tears, there are no words are there but just wanted to let you know that I will pray for you that you may get through this to the other side.
I cant imagine what you and your family must be going through. Reuben was a real sweetheart and you did everything you could for him and he knows that.

Rest in Peace little one and wait for your mummy at the bridge *ng*l

Janice, so sorry that you had to give Reuben his wings. You did everything you could possibly have done, run free little one at the bridge.
Thinking of you :hug:

Back