• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Reuben's kidneys

I am so, so sorry Janice -- this is just heart-breaking to read. You truly tried everything you could to give him his best chance and it must have been terribly distressing to have to make the hardest decision, as you did, in such circumstances.

I am so, so sorry Janice -- this is just heart-breaking to read. You truly tried everything you could to give him his best chance and it must have been terribly distressing to have to make the hardest decision, as you did, in such circumstances.

would it be a bad idea to get another from the same breeder at a later date?

this is apparently not a thing that comes out often, and his temperament was wonderful.

I guess I should steer clear?

I'm so sorry Janice. Honestly, you did the right thing by Reuben. The cards were just not in his favor from the start but you absolutely did everything you could for him. Know that he is at peace and take some time to grieve yourself, but remember you did the best for him.

I'm not sure who bred Reuben, Janice {obviously please don't post the breeder's name on the board}.

When you are feeling a bit better, please let them know what has happened - they should definitely not repeat the mating and should be aware that this condition has appeared in a puppy they have bred.

If they are doing all the health testing - MRI scanning, hearts annually {cardiologist, not just their vet},and eyes annually {opthamologist}; possibly also patellas {which is done by their normal vet} - and some breeders do also hip score; and you are happy with their set up, and the way they sell their puppies ie with a contract, lifetime support etc; then you could go back to them.

Did you contact them when Reuben was ill? Were they supportive? Even if they don't know anything about a condition, they should be prepared to do some research and support you in any way they can.

So it's hard for us to judge without knowing all the facts...

Most Cavaliers have wonderful temperaments, that is why we love them so much!!!

Nicki, If a puppy has all those tests, doesn't that mean they are WAY more expensive than the average price of about £500-£600?

I have written them a letter telling them that I am not complaining but just informing them.

I have also added an article on JRD which explains about the genetics of it in case they have never heard of it before.

I think I may give them a miss though as I would hate for it to happen again.

Like you said, they are a generally wonderful breed! :l*v:

Not way more expensive but a bit more expensive...generally around £750, depending on where you are in the UK. However if you look at that over the hopeful life of a Cavalier, life expectancy approx 10 years, that's £75 a year. Buying a cheap puppy from untested parents may mean huge vet bills - so it is not a saving in the long run.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for...

Health testing doesn't GUARANTEE a healthy lifetime for your puppy, but is the best that breeders can do with the current available information. At least you know that the breeder is trying to do their best - and you are encouraging breeders to health test.

By buying from a breeder who doesn't health test, there is no market pressure on them to do so...and market forces are the best way {in the absence of legislation} we can ensure they health test.

Laura Lang has a brilliant page on her website about this very subject - the last bit is a bit upsetting especially in light of your recent loss.

Scroll down to Dear Puppy Buyer

http://www.roycroftinformationcente...valier InfoCenter Breed Information Page.html

Margaret Carter {Margaret C on the board} keeps a list of breeders who health test - also you can contact the national breed club puppy register, Carole Butler, telephone 01285 770651

You can obtain details of regional contacts from the parent club website, under puppy register http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html

Hope that helps you in your search, and we truly wish you a much Happier 2010.

Janis....
Im just reading this now as I havent been on the board over xmas as much.
I am so sorry.

Ive pm'd you XXX

Mel

Janice I am so sorry you have lost your lovely little boy. He was lucky to have you to love and cherish him. My thoughts are with you.:hug:

There is another post I made in this thread with more links to information about treating a dog with juvenile renal dysplasia so I'm bumping this to the top also.

Pat

Back