Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cesar Milan and similar trainers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Cesar Milan and similar trainers

There have been discussions previously on here about Cesar Milan and his methods - please take time to read the following article, especially those of you in favour of his methods

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/174193.php

The British Veterinary Association (BVA) and British Small Animal Veterinary Association (BSAVA) have joined forces with several UK animal welfare, behaviour, and training organisations (full list below) to warn of the possible dangers of using techniques for training dogs that can cause pain and fear, such as some of those seen used by Cesar Millan 'The Dog Whisperer', who has announced a UK tour next year.

A gentleman not too far from where I live was hospitalised after he tried an alpha roll on his dog, which bit him very badly on the face The dog - a Cocker Spaniel - can you imagine the damage a large breed could do?
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Connel, Argyll And Bute, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I've rarely watched his programme because the few times I've seen a bit of it I've not really liked what I saw.
    I like Victoria Stilwell and Dog Borstal though.
    Type 'SIOUX GETS AN ALPHA ROLL' into youtube and see how it should be done!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by barneysmum; 25th December 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

barneysmum,

You are so right! I laughed so hard when I watched the video and showed my roommate, too.
    Kat M.

Mommy to Leo Cupid (July 16, 2009)

Post Thanks / Like

I used to love watching Ceasar milan, until my dog trainer brought in the spike collars he uses and offered to put it around my neck! i was horrified and havnt watched it since!
    Sarah, Thor, Freya, Poppy & Baxter

Izzy RIP sweetheart x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barneysmum View Post
    Type 'SIOUX GETS AN ALPHA ROLL' into youtube and see how it should be done!!!!!!!!!!

That's why Tommy is called Tommy Tum Tums
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Cesar Milan makes me cringe. First, I think it's ridiculous how some of the dogs act that even appear on his show!! And why is it always the same story? Cant they address other issues sometimes - such as my dogs - how I can't make them stop barking at animals on the TV?

Secondly, with my dogs, a simple change in my facial expression (such as one that lets them know I don't approve) or an AHH AHH in their direction does the trick and makes them stop. I think in general, using methods such as his are overkill
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Most trainers I know are not to keen on Cesar and his methods. His books are better than his programs (have you ever noticed most dogs have prong and shock collars on?). I think there are much kinder and more respectful ways of working with dogs. I like the "Mindful Leadership" approach, especially, with Cavaliers as they are so emotionally sensitive and alot of damage can be done by using the macho alpha approach...they are not wolves, but dogs and there really is a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Steve, please don't use his methods on a cavalier, much less any other breed.

Plus I thought you no longer have a dog? Please don't tell me you have taken another dog in given all the terrible issues you have in your current living situation and all the problems you went through.

I know you participate on some of the general Irish dog forums so I'll conclude your membership here, as you no longer have a cavalier, and let you speak freely about your training methods elsewhere, as that seems to be important to you and also make me feel this is no longer the right forum for you. It makes me really sad though that you would feel you need to show 'dominance' over a dog, much less puppies.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

No-one has the right to treat any dog with anything other than kindness and respect! Shock collars, prong collars or any other brutal way of dominating or controlling a dog are abhorrent! As humans we have (or should have) intelligence and reasoning to help us show our pets how to behave and this can only be done with kindness, patience, and consistency!!!!

What is particularly horrifying about Ceser and any other 'Celebrity' trainer who expounds these methods is that millions of people watch him; he can do no end of harm.

I'll get off my soap-box now and anyway I know for the most part I'm preaching to the converted.

Happy New Year to you all and to all our wonderful sweet natured and loving cavaliers.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who advocates the use of a shock collar or a prong collar should try it on themselves first. I personally tried the shock collar on myself. It was a horrible experience. I was able to immediately remove it from my neck. Poor dogs cannot. It frustrates me to no end when I hear (and read) how "if used properly", these are are "tools" for training. They are not "tools". They are a form of torture. I wish they would be banned. If someone routinely shocked their dog with anything else but these collars, the dogs could probably be removed by the authorities. I personally can't see any difference. There are many effective, positive ways that can be used to train dogs. Shock and prong collars are NEVER necessary.

I personally don't understand the need to "dominate" anybody or any animal. It's a bully mentality that gets no one anywhere.

I'll take my soap box now.....I need to do the laundry.

J.
    J. and pups, Gem, Monty, Harley and Sapphire