• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried sick about Abbey

I think you're right Karlin and going to take your advice as the money for a mri would be out of our pocket. I'll let you all know what the docs say tomorrow asap. Its a long drive and day-- 2 1/2 hrs. each way and always lots of waiting and seeing two different doctors tomorrow also.

Only seeing this now Linda....good luck for today, positive thoughts going your way xx

Linda, best of luck today. I hope everything goes well for Abbey. I bet you will find that it is as everyone here suspects - the hard cone. Fingers crossed for a good outcome. Hope you are feeling better too. Do you have anything like Rescue remedy that you could take, just to calm your tummy jitters?
Charli

Only saw this now. Sorry that you have been going through this :flwr:

Best of luck today, will be thinking of you and Abbey :hug:

Linda - having computer problems so am just catching up. I hope Abbey's problems are related to her cone. But I do feel your pain. With an SM dog, your mind goes right to the nightmare scenarios. I know it was a long day, but please let us know how Abbey is doing.

Thank you for thinking of us and we are going through a very hard time right now and I don't have the strength right now to type down everything that happened yesterday but will asap. I feel she is worse and we're trying to figure out if the gabapentin is not cutting it or the worse scenario of scar tissue. Unfortunately, yesterday was a zoo at the university--many emergencies and I was put on the back burner which I didn't deal with but yet understood--again a long story and will post soon. Her neurologist is hopefully calling today to come up with a plan--he wants to talk to some other neurologists about some new medication--can't remember what its called.

Please don't feel under any pressure. We can wait for the full details until you have time and energy.
Just know we care about you and Abbey, and all of us are hoping she can be made more comfortable soon.

There are a lot of different medications so hopefully you can get a better balance. Scar tissue unfortunately seems to be common, but most often does not mean the dog ever is as bad as they were before surgery -- and I would still think wearing a cone for a long period may have aggravated the area and caused more symptoms. Hopefully it is a short term issue but you just never know with this condition and the treatments are all not ideal; management options, not cures. :(

Linda, is it Lyrica? I believe I have heard of that being used with SM dogs-- I think I was told it's the updated version of Gabapentin?

Anyway, good luck with your pup. Sorry you are dealing with this.

If it is lyrica/pregabalin then you may see a huge difference. Ruby has been on it for a few months and i have barely seen a symptom in that time. The change was instant. I am so sorry for you and abbey. We get the pregabalin at its cheapest from boots.

I'm not sure. Got an e-mail from him yesterday and he's checking out all options so I'll post as soon as I know. He said in e-mail that he would call last night or today but I know he's working on the best plan.

Linda- I'm so sorry you're having such a rough week. You'll get through it.

It's interesting hearing that Lyrica is being prescribed- it is a human fibro myalgia med.

well gabapentin is an anti-seizure med although neurologist says it stinks for humans in that regards.

Been more than a rough week. Few weeks ago worried she was going to lose her eye but thank god we're at the tail end of that ordeal hopefully.

I have a feeling he will call tonight and unfortunately I'm not home--bible study but hubby is home so he can at least talk to him if he does call. I know he'll call when he feels he has the right plan. Go figure today and yesterday she's been better. Even at the better deal he did tell me the goal is to be symptom free.

I wanted to start her on the lowest dose so we started on 50mg once a day in the morning. If she has a bad day she has an eXtra one in the early ning but more often than not she has just the one.
They come in 50mg size and i get them for £148 for 84 tablets which usually lasts us 2 months. She truely has been back to normal and even her eyes have stopped gunging up and until i worked out timelines i didnt even think it was down to the SM but i think now it was a sign of pain.
My prayers are with you both and i hope your main man will be in touch very soonx

Back