• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried sick about Abbey

Lyrica is basically a stronger version of gabapentin, as far as I understand. Gabapentin is also prescribed for human fibromyalgia BTW (probably a lot more for that than for seizures). :) I have to go through a bit of a rigamarole to get gabapentin in Ireland for a dog as it is a human drug and has not been cleared for animal use thus there's some extra paperwork for the vet. My pharmacist thinks it is funny to do up the prescription for a dog!

Yes i shopped around a bit as my vets cant get lyrica. Petdrugs o line were £190 and other chemists wouldnt do it fot a dog but Boots have been great and do it much cheaper than anywhere else plus its always in stock. The first time i asked i did get a funny look and when they saw the price she must have tbought i was a crazy dog lady!

Sorry I haven't updated but I just talked to her neuro yesterday and yes its lyrica/pregabalin that he is investigating. He still is researching it for side effects, price and all that kind of stuff and said we will talk again either monday or tuesday and if I don't hear from him by tuesday to call him. I've researched a bit on it to kind of prepare if he does recommend it but any input would be appreciated.

Linda, did you ever have her on the Prilosec (Omeprazole)? I know of some SM Cavaliers that have really done wonderfully on it, though I'm sure your neuro knows best!

Also, the pharmacy at places like Sam's Club and BJs typically has really good prices on meds. I think CVS does some type of a program, as well, that you might want to look into. I have a friend (human) who was on Lyrica and even with insurance, it was terribly expensive for her.

It is extremely expensive.

Most SM dogs seem to get best results from being on one of a range of CSF inhibitors like Omeprazole, frusemide or cimetidine and different ones work better for different dogs. Also some do fine with a simple addition of rimadyl to a cocktail of say gabapentin and a CSF inhibitor. And not sure what dose of gabapentin Abbey is on but generally most neurologists would just raise the gabapentin dose if she's not on a high dose now. Personaly I would probably do all those things before Lyrica but for some dogs Lyrca may give a better response.

Really very little is known of side effects as these are not drugs licensed for use with dogs (meaning they haven't been trialed and tested on dogs) so there's not much on side effects out there for any of them including gabapentin.

It is frustrating but most of us with SM dogs do end up regularly adjusting the medication regime -- sadly it is the norm for this frustrating condition. :( Hope you find a good mix for Abbey. I would think she will do better having a hard collar off her now as well.

Obviously ruby is one dog so her results certainly shouldn't be taken as a given but compared to the gabapentin she hasnt had side affects.
She is on a combination of frusomide and the lyrica. As you are in the US i cant really help much with finding the cheapest place to find it. But with anything you will probably find it at its cheapest from a human pharmacy. I saved myself over £40 by doing so.
Like karlin said different dogs react different ways to these drugs and gabapentin made ruby nautious, sleepy and very unsteady on her feet. It just wasnt for her, however like i think i previously mentioned it has taken more pain away than i ever dreamed it would which is obvious by the change in ger general demeanor. I pray abbey gets the same results as ruby did.
As for price...well how can we put a price on quality of life.
If you can find it for the equivalent of £150 for 84 pills you are on to a winner!
Feel free to msg me with any questions, im more than happy to help any way i can.
Regards

Back