• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much do you Cavaliers sleep?

mlsande21

Hello, my 2 1/2 year old Cavalier Rudy seems to sleep a lot. He provides me with so much joy, I want to make sure I am providing his with enough stimulation to be healthy and happy.

So, how much do your Cavaliers sleep? What would be considered as nornal?

Thanks.....Mike

My two sleep a lot. All night, and then for the next seven hours when I'm at work. When I come home it's play and walk time and they're ready for a nap!! More play, food and walks and thyre ready to settle at around half nine. Wish I could do the same!!

Leo is the same, He sleeps A LOT but if you move he's up like lightening and trotting behind you.

He can go from snoring his head off to running around like crazy in a nano second.:D

Mel

I think most dogs sleep alot. I have read that we in our western culture tend to over schedule our dogs like our kids and that dogs need alot of downtime to just do what dogs do normally for the most part and that's a whole lot of nothing. I guess maybe we should take a lession in "being" from them. They are such great little gurus. Also, when you consider that this breed is use to lounging around the royal courts where like our pups everything is provided, there really isn't much to do but sleep, eat, poop and play! Wish my life was so simple.

Mine sleep all night, have a 30 minute walk in the morning before we go out to work, sleep for 6 hours, then it's playtime when I get home. At some point they get a second walk ( usually afternoon in winter off lead in the park, evening in summer when it's cooler), and snooze the evening away on our laps until bedtime.

Jasper also sleeps a lot - much more than he used to, he will be 10 this year, he sleeps all night, gets a walk in the morning then back to sleep and another walk in the afternoon depending on the weather, I don`t like him laying around too much as with his MVD it can make him cough if he lays for too long.

Ruby sleeps a good 18-20 hrs a day and Charlie a bit less.

If they arent out walking or eating they sleep. We all play for about 30 mins a day and the dogs have their own games for about the same time but all in all they sleep. Specially in the winter. We are all out and about a bit more in the summer!

Thank You

Thanks for your responses. I guess my Rudy isn't abnormal after all! His sleeping habits are just about the same as all of yours.

Thanks.....I feel better now!

Mike

This is very interesting. I had been wondering too if my Roxy slept too little/too much. I've always felt like she responded to her body's needs. She sleeps all night, takes a morning nap after breakfast and outdoor time, then I bet she sleeps a good 5 hours on and off for the rest of the day until bedtime.

We also have a Chocolate Lab though, so they keep each other active as play partners. When Roxy sleeps though, she's OUT, I mean really OUT. She sleeps deeply!! Our Lab will perk her ears at the slightest sound, even at no sound (that I can discern), but our Cavvy....she's a deep sleeper!!!

~Dawn

Mine sleep all night which is from about half 9 untill 8 in the morning, they fall asleep on my lap straight away when i sit down but if i get up for anything there up straight awayfollowing me around and back to sleep once i sit down again.. Cassie sleeps alot more than pippa does, pippa walks around the house noising at everything and anything, we always call her 'busy bum' ha

Back