• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weight at 10 months..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin2854

My petite cavalier Polly is weighing in at 8lbs 9oz, she was 10 months today. Vet doesnt seem to think she's going to get too much bigger, maybe another pound or so. She's been at this weight for the last few months. Anyone else have experience with a little cav? Do you think she will get much bigger (i like her being petite anyways). Thanks!

pollypro4.jpg

Last edited:
My 1st Cavalier weighed in at 14 lbs at 15 months and now at 3 and the perfect weight she is 18 lbs. My 2nd Cavalier (her half sister) is also 3 and weighs 16 lbs. It is my experience that dogs don't mature until 2 and that they do gain a few pounds in filling out in their 2nd year. I believe it is better (this is my own personal opinion) to have a dog in the middle to upper range of the standard weight wise. I think part of the problem with Cavaliers is that some breeders have been trying to breed them too small. This is just a guess, but I bet your sweet little girl will round out at about 12 lbs by the time she is two.

Polly is very petite and absolutely adorable! :) I know that cavaliers come in a range of sizes, but I would say she is probably going to stay on the tinier side.

We got Dottie from her breeder when she was 6 months old, and she was already a fit 14.5 lbs at that time! She is now a little larger, and weighs about 17 lbs, which is just right for her bone structure.

Riley weighed just under 11 pounds when we got her at 11 months of age. She is now 7 years old and weighs 12 pounds 1 ounce. Polly will most likely remain on the petite side, but I would expect her to put on 2+ pounds over the next year. Is your vet concerned? For a seemingly healthy 10 month old pup to not have gained weight in the last several months seems like maybe there is some underlying metabolic disorder. Has she had a thorough exam and bloodwork done? I'd want to know if your vet has investigated causes for no weight gain. But, she is absolutely adorable!

Everything has come out normal luckily..

Polly was tiny when we got her, the runt of her litter. She has a small bone structure and is just all around petite. She's gained maybe 2 oz or so since Nov but not much more. The vet has been monitoring her since I got her at 10 weeks (she was 3lbs then) and says she's perfect, just petite. He said she's a perfect size for her structure, so thats good :)

Erin, I am going to close this thread as with all due respect, you've brought this exact same topic up previously almost word for word, and keep stressing the smallness of your cavalier (we still know almost nothing else about her except her size!). It worries me a bit that looking back over all the posts you have made, almost every single one highlights Polly's tiny size and how delighted you are with it. :( I am sure there are many other things about her you could share with board members besides her size? :)

She is a charming dog (like all cavaliers! :) )but smallness is NOT a preferred trait in any breed when they dip below breed standard. Being the runt of the litter is often a serious health issue, not a bonus to opt for when choosing a dog in the hopes that it will remain small. This is not the size these breeds were meant to be and small size is, on its own, known to be the single greatest risk factor for syringomyelia -- every single breed affected by this difference between skull size and brain size is a toy breed. Celebrating smallness as a preferred trait only encourages people to deliberately seek out ever smaller versions of these breeds and brings forward further potential genetic damage. Good breeders do not deliberately breed for extra small cavaliers; undersized cavaliers should never themselves be bred. As I noted in one of your previous posts on this same topic, I was alarmed to read that your vet actually was promoting below-standard smallness as a preferred shape -- a really sad thing for a vet to say as they of all people should know how despicable the 'teacup' trade is and how damaging it has been to the health of individual dogs and entire breeds. This is what you said:

My vet said that he personally, prefers to see cavalier's on the more petite 10-12lbs range as he thinks they make for prettier looking dogs.

Good grief. Does this vet know much about the breed? Surely he must at least have read about the health problems miniaturisation brings to breeds?

For example, please read, and have him read:

http://www.ytca.org/faq.html#A
http://www.barkrescue.net/teacup.htm
http://www.dolittler.com/2006/9/28/pet.vet.vpov.9.28.06.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg16104.html

So I really would prefer this subject be closed; I am sure there are many other aspects of owning Polly that can be shared and enjoyed and I look forward to those and getting to hear more about her personality and activities. (y) :)

If you are worried about her weight, then you are welcome to post to the health section about those concerns (I'd share some of the concern of previous posters at so little weight gain in recent months, which is unusual. I might get a second opinion from a different vet, maybe one who doesn't think below standard smallness is a preference!). But please: no more on her size. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back