• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

question about Sasha's nose....

cb2u

Whereas Sasha's nose is normally black, I noticed yesterday and today that it's lighter in color.... more of a brown color. It also feels very dry. Is this normal?

In every other way, she's her usual self. I know this must be a strange question, and I'm probably just examining her too closely, but still... :eek:

Some lines of cavaliers have noses that get lighter in the winter months. It changes back to dark during the summer. I believe it is called a rose nose. Some believe it has to do with the lack of sun.
There are also lines of cavaliers that get lighter noses(more predominant as they age)-- sometimes called a dudley nose.

Some also believe that plastic dishes contribute to the color loss-- but I have: Black noses that stay BLACK- dark noses that lighten and darken-- and a line that has gotten lighter as they get older. NO plastic dishes used here.

I think it is genetic

Mine had a problem with plastic dishes but it was not all over their noses in the beginning and each was a little different in reaction. Annie began having white spots on her nose and,truly, at first, I thought I was seeing things. Freckles had some grey shadings. A quick switch to stainless steel and the noses were back to normal in days. Had been trying the dishes that slow down their eating-now they are produced in metal.

Interesting about the dishes! Sasha's dishes are stainless steel.

Woodhaven, I'm so impressed w/ your knowledge of cavalier noses, I really thought people would think I was nuts, posting about this.... perhaps it's a winter thing. We certainly aren't out as much, now that it's so bitter cold.

I'm glad Annie and Freckles' noses are "back to normal"!!

Interesting about the dishes! Sasha's dishes are stainless steel.

Woodhaven, I'm so impressed w/ your knowledge of cavalier noses, I really thought people would think I was nuts, posting about this.... perhaps it's a winter thing. We certainly aren't out as much, now that it's so bitter cold.

I'm glad Annie and Freckles' noses are "back to normal"!!

Light noses are not liked for show dogs-- so when I see one pop up - I try to figure out why.
The first two dogs I got to show in the ring both have the rose nose-- they darken during the summer.

Light coloured eyes, and off colour noses, are a real problem for some show breeders and exhibitors, and it is certainly an inherited trait.
They are not problems for the cavalier itself and nothing to worry about healthwise.

Show breeders, of course, are always anxious to avoid introducing this cosmetic fault into their lines, and will try and avoid using stud dogs that throw the fault.
Not always easy when there are cheating exhibitors who disguise the fault by painting dye on their dog's nose leather.

Light coloured eyes, and off colour noses, are a real problem for some show breeders and exhibitors, and it is certainly an inherited trait.
They are not problems for the cavalier itself and nothing to worry about healthwise.

Show breeders, of course, are always anxious to avoid introducing this cosmetic fault into their lines, and will try and avoid using stud dogs that throw the fault.
Not always easy when there are cheating exhibitors who disguise the fault by painting dye on their dog's nose leather.

They actually do this? Unbelievable! (although I guess I shouldn't really be surprised).

Luckily Sasha is not a show dog, so we love her nose any color it may be! :lotsaluv:

This is interesting. Bosco has a dry, lighter coloured nose at the moment. I was wondering if it was anything to do with taking Gabapentin?

I have two on gabapentin and they both have dense black pigment. It is more likely that it is just a 'winter' nose.

Rubies can be especially affected by loss of colour during the cold season.

Gus' nose is light brown and always dry, he is blenhiem. DJ is ruby and has a brown nose but darker than gus' and Pippin is tri and has the cutest little black nose I ever seen it looks like a 'toy' leather nose.

I used to worry about gus' light/dry nose but my vet assured me it's not a problem and he is 8 now and it never bothers him.

Back